Author Topic: Silver solder  (Read 1351 times)

Silver solder
« on: August 07, 2011, 07:56:27 AM »
Can you guys give me some advice on what I need to buy to silver solder my bolts, recoil plate, etc. together and any tips on techique?I know how to sweat copper pipe together, is it pretty much the same process? Thanks in advance.

Silver solder
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2011, 01:16:05 PM »
I used Lenox 96/4 on my bolts & barrels, seamed to work ok. Silver solder takes a lot of heat & may warp the thinner brass parts.
Use it like you would on cu. pipe.
http://www.lenoxtools.com/pages/product ... 64leadfree

Silver solder
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2011, 05:27:41 PM »
I think one of the keys to silver soldering properly is a having a good flux specificily made for silver solder.

I still have not been able to silver solder well, so any part I can modify so I don\'t have to, I will.  ;)

Silver solder
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2011, 07:25:02 PM »
[quote name=\"TheJackal\"]I think one of the keys to silver soldering properly is a having a good flux specificily made for silver solder.

I still have not been able to silver solder well, so any part I can modify so I don\'t have to, I will.  ;)[/quote]

Yeah, I\'m not so worried about how the bolts, or the recoil plate look, but I\'m leaning towards using locking Heli-Coils for the rails, front bearing support, and possibly the magazine base so I don\'t muck up my nice brass.

Silver solder
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 11:04:51 AM »
I used JB weld to put the inserts in my bolt, it worked really good. the reason i used that is if i would have welded the two parts together there would have been a weld bead on the flat on the bolt unless i tig welded them together, and then i would have to somehow set up and machine the bead off the flat, jb weld was a simple fix to that.

Silver solder
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 11:17:54 PM »
Follow the instructions in the book by Kozo Hiraoka, \'The Pennsylvania A3 Switcher\', page 234.  Works every time.  I ordered my book from Machinist\'s Workshop several years ago.  If I follow the instructions, works every time, if I do not, disaster.

Silver solder
« Reply #6 on: August 13, 2011, 07:37:42 PM »
[quote name=\"Steve McKuhen\"]Follow the instructions in the book by Kozo Hiraoka, \'The Pennsylvania A3 Switcher\', page 234.  Works every time.  I ordered my book from Machinist\'s Workshop several years ago.  If I follow the instructions, works every time, if I do not, disaster.[/quote]

Thanks, I\'ll look for that book, do you have a link?

Silver solder
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2011, 12:12:00 AM »
I just googled this book.  Many available.  I would send you a copy of the pages save for the copyright.  Some threads suggest you can get a reprint of his articles.  The book is a very good reference.