Author Topic: Ghost Gatlings?  (Read 1088 times)

Offline 20Gun

Ghost Gatlings?
« on: April 08, 2021, 05:46:19 PM »
I'm no expert, but I would think that our Gatling guns would fall in this classification?

Offline Sparky_NY

Re: Ghost Gatlings?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2021, 08:21:57 PM »
It will depend on how they handle definitions under any new laws.    Now, a ghost gun is a partially completed frame manufactured and sold.    Our gatlings come under a self made scratch built gun.    You never know what politicians will do down the road,  it will come down to the wording and definitions.   

Offline 20Gun

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2021, 08:21:06 AM »
If we do have to serialize, which part would be considered the receiver? The bolt carrier? The breech casing with the cam? I assume we will have to fill out an ATF form 1. I know there is a lot of unknowns. If anybody hears anything post up.

Offline Cutter

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2021, 11:07:30 AM »
Paul Moore posted a letter he received from the ATF over ten years ago stating

Offline 20Gun

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2021, 03:51:23 PM »
That letter states that they consider it a Title 1 firearm (ex rifle, pistol, shotgun ) not a machine gun.  I'm not a lawyer, or legal expert! As of now you can manufacture a title 1 firearm for your own personal use, without a criminal background check, FFL/ manufactures license, or serialization. Examples are; up to 80% machined receivers, 3D printed firearms, homemade, or improvised firearms as long as they are not for commercial sale(so called ghost guns). The devil may be in the details!

Offline DonV

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2022, 06:31:03 PM »
The ATF regs that have been out for review on this ghost gun thing say that an FFL gunsmith should add a serial number to any gun that comes to them that does not already have one, and they suggest a format including part of their FFL number and some unique identifier/serial number. I now use the FFL snip, my initials and a serial number of things I build. That said, I put a simpler version (Initials and serial number) on my GG, stamped into the breech casing on the bottom by the oscillator slide and also engraved onto the casing side rails.
Don