Author Topic: Hammer shaft hardness  (Read 2047 times)

Offline Larryx

Hammer shaft hardness
« on: January 07, 2021, 11:41:48 AM »
I am in the process of finalizing the machining of the bolts ( I am the lucky owner of a set of Cutter's 1 piece version0
) and  I am attempting to use the Cutter technique of setting the sear and pinning the screw in the correct position. obviously in order to do that I have to drill a hole through the hammer shaft and the 6-32 x 1/2 inch screw. What is driving me nuts is the hardness of the hammer shaft. I believe the hammer shafts I have originated with GBULL (MAY HE REST IN PEACE)  and I do not own a hardness tester but my estimate of the  hardness is [Rockwell D 200?
I am using 1/16 inch carbide drills of several designs - all courtesy of  McMaster Carr and my local bank loan officer, but I am really having a problem. Did any of you other users of the Garry Bull supplied  hammer shaft have a  similar experience?

Offline Sparky_NY

Re: Hammer shaft hardness
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2021, 01:27:44 PM »
I am in the process of finalizing the machining of the bolts ( I am the lucky owner of a set of Cutter's 1 piece version0
) and  I am attempting to use the Cutter technique of setting the sear and pinning the screw in the correct position. obviously in order to do that I have to drill a hole through the hammer shaft and the 6-32 x 1/2 inch screw. What is driving me nuts is the hardness of the hammer shaft. I believe the hammer shafts I have originated with GBULL (MAY HE REST IN PEACE)  and I do not own a hardness tester but my estimate of the  hardness is [Rockwell D 200?
I am using 1/16 inch carbide drills of several designs - all courtesy of  McMaster Carr and my local bank loan officer, but I am really having a problem. Did any of you other users of the Garry Bull supplied  hammer shaft have a  similar experience?

No suggestions on drilling the hammer shafts but on the two gats I built I just used loctite on the sear screws and have not had any problems at all with them moving.   Considering the trouble you are having drilling them maybe you might want to try the loctite first and if that does not work out then troubleshoot the drilling problem more.  I used a penetrating grade of permatex brand for loctite although other types could be suitable as well.

On second though, I do have a suggestion on drilling the hammer shafts.   A edm would make those holes easily if you could get it done.   EDM does not care one bit if the steel is hard.

Lastly,  THANKS for breaking the silence here !!    I look here a couple times a day and its been dead silent.     I miss the forum activity.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2021, 01:39:21 PM by Sparky_NY »

Offline Larryx

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2021, 05:48:45 PM »
I'm with you on the silence. 

In regards to the EDM, I am not sure if there are any facilities around here that offer that service. I am in a beach community where there are more scuba shops than hardware stores let alone  places that offer what I consider to be exotic services like EDM. Maybe in Miami but that is a couple of hours drive. I have drilled 9 of my total of 11 shafts (10 plus a spare) and I still have a semi good  drill for the remainder. Time will tell.

Offline drhardin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2021, 09:29:27 PM »
Did I miss that something happened to Gary GBULL?

Offline Larryx

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2021, 07:48:24 AM »
Sorry to say that Gary Bull passed away in October. He had been suffering from some sort of stomach cancer.

He is already missed by me and I'm sure many others.

Offline drhardin

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2021, 11:26:47 AM »
So sorry to hear this. I didn't know. I have also missed him on the forum.

Offline maccrazy2

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2021, 11:00:37 AM »
Sorry to hear of his passing. He had mentioned he had received a bad diagnosis back when we were working on the bolts a while back.  I guess I didn

Offline maccrazy2

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2021, 11:01:17 AM »
Didn

Offline maccrazy2

« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2021, 11:02:13 AM »
Forum won

Offline maccrazy2

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2021, 08:42:05 PM »
Ok. I tried clearing my cache on my phone. Hopefully I can post a full message now. Just typing this out to see if it gets cut off.

Offline maccrazy2

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2021, 08:46:05 PM »
Alright it worked. I haven