Author Topic: Bridgeport cnc mill parts  (Read 1247 times)

Offline bruski

Bridgeport cnc mill parts
« on: December 22, 2018, 01:18:54 AM »

Howdy,

Does anybody know where I can pick up a Axis Motion Transducer Encoder part number 3-154-0234 for my Bridgeport cnc mill. It is the feed rate over-ride control on the operators panel. It looks like a potentiometer but I am not sure if it is after reading Bridgeports description on it which scared the hell out of me now. See the attached picture. It locked up on me, so maybe it can be un-locked so to speak but not sure yet.

bruski

Offline Sparky_NY

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2018, 06:12:59 AM »

Sure as hell looks like a potentiometer to me.    Its simple to verify with a ohm meter.   Any markings on the other side?

Offline bruski

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2018, 11:00:12 AM »

There is a 8987 and a 50 plus a 3 2 1 pin marking on the other side. Most potentiometers have a limit on the rotation, this device spins 360 degrees as many times as you wish too when it\'s working. I tried an ohm meter on it yesterday with no results.

bruski

Offline Sparky_NY

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2018, 12:58:27 PM »

Oh boy,   the fact it spins 360 over and over point to it being a rotary encoder.     The description \"transducer encoder\" also points in that direction.    Still, it having only 3 terminals is a bit of a mystery.

Do you have schematics for the machine?     I wonder how its depicted in the schematics?

By chance, is there a twin used for spindle override?       If so, a little probing with a oscilloscope could tell the story.

Is it completely bad or just intermittent?

« Last Edit: December 22, 2018, 12:59:17 PM by Sparky_NY »

Offline Sparky_NY

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2018, 01:02:02 PM »

Alternately,  there is a fellow on CNCZONE, in the bridgeport section that used to work for bridgeport.   He is extremely knowledgeable.     A post there may give the answer.

Offline bruski

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2018, 07:49:03 PM »

Thanks sparky, I took it apart and cleaned the shaft and bushing areas and now it is back in service. The aluminum shaft was dry and galled up in the steel bushing housing. 

bruski

Offline Sparky_NY

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2018, 10:19:47 PM »

Thanks sparky, I took it apart and cleaned the shaft and bushing areas and now it is back in service. The aluminum shaft was dry and galled up in the steel bushing housing. 

bruski

Did the insides give any clues as to just what it is?      Curious minds want to know !

Offline bruski

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2018, 11:49:41 PM »

It is definitely an encoder with a spring loaded ball that detentes on a plastic gear looking wheel that has about 360 detentes on it. The electronic portion of it was sealed so I am not sure what is going on inside of that part. I did some research on rotary encoders, and they are an important part of most things that need precise control of there position and speed.

bruski