Author Topic: Time to color the barrels  (Read 1001 times)

Offline Larryx

Time to color the barrels
« on: May 11, 2020, 10:32:37 AM »

I have reached the point where I need to add the finish to the barrels.  I did the RG G thing and put liners in the DOM tubing. I believe the outer tubes are chrome moly tubiing but I am not sure of the metalurgy. What is the opinion of this group in putting color on the barrels. I am avoiding the word \"bluimg\" but you guys know what I mean. My choices preclude hot bluing as the cost and inconvience of sending them somewhere is out of the question. There is a guy on YouTube who puts browing on warm barrels and then cold blues over that ( 5 or more coats of blue) and claims the corrosion resistance is multiple times that of just cold bluing. I am not sure if corrosion is a significant factor in the life of a .22Cal gat, but it is a factor.  Almost all of the pictures on this forum display beautifully colored barrels. What did you guys use?

Offline bruski

« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2020, 02:42:03 PM »

. The barrels are cold blued with liquid oxpho-blue.
I have found that if the barrels are dipped in the oxpho-blue instead of rubbing it on, a nice even blueing will be the end result. A piece of 3/4 inch PVC pipe that is a couple of inches longer than the barrels with a cap glued on one end works great. Just hold the pvc pipe vertically in a vise and fill it about 2/3 full of oxpho-blue. Plug your barrels with wooden dowels on each end with one end longer for a handle to dip with.

bruski

Offline Larryx

« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2020, 07:10:52 PM »

Thank you for the info. Simple enough that even  I can follow with a minimal chance of screwing it up. 

Offline maccrazy2

« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2020, 08:31:36 PM »
Let’s see some progress photos.

Offline Larryx

« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2020, 05:21:56 PM »

I will post some pix as soon as I figure out how I want to construct the frame. I have the materials cut, shaped etc but I am very uncomfortable with the extended U shaped configuration as shown on the print. Keeping in mind that my relative inexperience has in the past allowed me to smash anvils, I want to start the assembly build in a way that won\'t twist or otherwise mis-form the frame as I attempt to perform the necessary measurements to properly mount the box cam within the casing etc.