Author Topic: Newbie seeks assistance on frame  (Read 930 times)

Offline Larryx

Newbie seeks assistance on frame
« on: April 19, 2020, 07:58:38 AM »

I have gotten to the point where I need to build the frame. Instinct tells me that a reasonable method would be to solder the front bow to the rails and then proceed to machine the casing etc to fit.  Keeping in mind that the bow -to -rails silver soldered connection is obviously not very stout, I could support the front assembly with  2 hands while I worked on the rear portion with the other ones. I run out of hands far to early in the process for this to be successful  . I did see one build where the builder put a rear support piece to hold the frame steady and sturdy. see pix below  Anyone have any details or suggestions [attachment=11221:GG frame.jpg]on this?

Offline Cutter

« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2020, 11:05:10 AM »
Another method for the Bow

Offline bruski

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2020, 02:55:41 PM »

Try cutter\'s suggestion for mounting the bow to the side rails. It works great and it gives you a little wiggle room while assembling everything then locktite on final assembly.

bruski

Offline Roller

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2020, 06:50:41 PM »

I built a fixture to hold everything in place and silver soldered the bow in place.

Frank

Offline Sparky_NY

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2020, 08:41:10 PM »

My frame was made from piece of 304 stainless I got for free.     Free wasn\'t such a good deal,  it was a bear to work with !      I had the cross piece TIG welded by a friend and then I carefully dressed the welds down so it looks like one piece.

In handling the gun, especially when mounting the receiver and barrels into the frame,  considerable stress is made on that front cross piece.   Just something to keep in mind.