Author Topic: My Struggles  (Read 1231 times)

Offline Richard Morton

My Struggles
« on: September 30, 2019, 01:16:04 PM »

Over about a decade, I have considered to make the attempt to build a gatling gun. A few months I did decide to move forward and one of the ways I have started was to buy out a unfinished project.  I have gone through those parts, cleaned them up and found some problems and salvaged some.  I have made a few new parts and now have enough to make a rotating assemble.  My skill set in my opinion is pretty low, basic lathe and  mill operations (manual) and some of cocking parts and bolts are intimidating to me.  Further hindering is my ability to read the prints simple parts no problem but others are a challenge with the cooking stuff looking to be real hard. I more like a monkey if I see something and hold it in my hand I can understand it, looking at drawings takes me a long while. Likely have some things wrong but I\'m getting a better understanding how the bits all work.  Here\'s a quick video showing it mocked in the carriage.https://youtu.be/A4y_zWSCOEc%C2%A0\'>https://youtu.be/A4y_zWSCOEc 

Offline Sparky_NY

My Struggles
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2019, 01:32:49 PM »

Nice to see another builder !        I was pretty intimidated when I built my first gatling.   I am a hobby machinist.   The bolts are one of the most complicated and demanding pieces to a gatling.   I made more than one part twice after screwing up but in the end I got a shooting gun.   Take it one step at a time.    Lots of pictures here on the forum to help visualize what parts look like as well as many pics of machining setups.

Don\'t hesitate to ask questions,  folks here are very willing to help.

George

Offline maccrazy2

My Struggles
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2019, 07:44:37 PM »
Did you by chance buy the parts from the guy in Pennsylvania?

I’m somewhat in the same boat. Reading the plans without seeing a finished part can be confusing for me at times. However, searching here I was able to find pictures of everything so it is quite helpful.

Offline Bluedog

My Struggles
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2019, 12:55:14 AM »

Did you by chance buy the parts from the guy in Pennsylvania?

I’m somewhat in the same boat. Reading the plans without seeing a finished part can be confusing for me at times. However, searching here I was able to find pictures of everything so it is quite helpful.

That was me.