Author Topic: Chris’ build.  (Read 2842 times)

Offline maccrazy2

Chris’ build.
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2019, 08:08:40 PM »
Barrel plate finished. Still needs deburing.

Offline maccrazy2

Chris’ build.
« Reply #21 on: October 12, 2019, 06:02:49 PM »
Ok. I got these all sorted out. I made 3 of them so far. The last one came out better than the first two. I ended up using a 3/8 endmill instead of a boring bar to finish out the holes and was much happier with the surface finish. I’m going to remake the first 2 so they all have the same barrel tennon size.

I started with.400 and it’s fine but the material is quite thin between the counterbore holes for the barrel mounting holes. I tried.385 on the second and the material between the holes was more stable but I got a little bit of chatter when boring the holes. Both of them displaced a lot of metal at the surface when drilling the holes requiring more deburring than I expected. I drilled pilot holes and finished with endmills on last one and it came out much better.

In retrospect, I should of made these first so the holes would be fully supported going into the aluminum fixture holding the part. I made the bolt carriers first so the holes are .420 and it caused a burr I had to remove on the barrel plate in all the barrel holes. Not a big deal but one more step that could of been avoided.

Offline maccrazy2

Chris’ build.
« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2019, 02:29:12 PM »
On to the shell carriers. I got the first one finished last night. Hopefully I will complete the other two tonight. They came out fine. Just a quick deburing and I will be done for a while. Unfortunately I have to get back to work paying the bills so I won’t be able to make much progress until after the tradeshow coming up in March.

Offline maccrazy2

Chris’ build.
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2019, 02:32:29 PM »
I remade the barrel plates so all 3 match. I used a new endmill and although I could not feel a difference in cutting resistance it pushed up much less of a burr on the bottom side.

Offline maccrazy2

Chris’ build.
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2019, 01:12:42 AM »
Done for now. Looking forward to being able to get back on this project.

Offline maccrazy2

Chris’ build.
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2020, 02:59:59 PM »
I’m counting down the days until I can get back on this project. I should be free to start making chips middle of April. However I think the Bridgeport lube system may be some attention first. I’ve noticed the table is not lubing well and the level in the bijur resivoir is not going down lately. It feels like the pump is holding pressure but something is up.