Author Topic: Chris’ build.  (Read 2841 times)

Offline maccrazy2

Chris’ build.
« on: September 23, 2019, 02:13:51 PM »
I took motivation from others build threads here so, I figured I would start my own to show my progress as I go along.

I purchased the D&E and RGG plans about 7 years ago and started researching building a Gatling gun. I was dissuaded due to the multiple threads I found regarding errors as well as finicky operation. I did not realize the D&E was for .22 shorts. Fast forward a couple years and I started seeing successful builds here by people like Cutter/Jerry and a few others. Unlike some other forums people here are enthusiasts and very helpful with information on how to correct the shortcomings in the plans designs. So, here I am. I started this year and it probably will take a couple years to complete the guns as I have limited time to build as my work schedule allows. I am building 3 with the intent of making one for each of my kids and one to shoot for fun for myself.

At this point I am going to try to build 3 sets of all of the parts That I am machining but will try to complete 1 gun first and make sure it operates as wanted and then complete the build on the other two. The photos/parts may skip around a bit as I am building as the machines are idle from my work.

Offline maccrazy2

Chris’ build.
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2019, 03:45:40 PM »
The beginning.

Offline maccrazy2

Chris’ build.
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2019, 04:02:00 PM »

Offline maccrazy2

Chris’ build.
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2019, 04:02:47 PM »

Offline maccrazy2

Chris’ build.
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2019, 04:04:15 PM »

Offline maccrazy2

Chris’ build.
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2019, 04:06:44 PM »

Offline maccrazy2

Chris’ build.
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2019, 04:07:22 PM »
After boring the holes.

Offline maccrazy2

Chris’ build.
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2019, 04:10:34 PM »
Two of the bolt carriers and two of the shell holders before machining.

Offline maccrazy2

Chris’ build.
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2019, 04:12:16 PM »
The reamer for the alignment pin holes.

Offline maccrazy2

Chris’ build.
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2019, 04:54:20 PM »
The start of turning some barrels. I got 10 done so far. This was the toughest part so far. I eventually got a good combo of feed/speed but it took a while to get it dialed in. Also the various alloys cut different so some fought more than others.

Offline maccrazy2

Chris’ build.
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2019, 04:55:46 PM »
My initial setup. Unfortunately my lathe does not have coolant as it is mostly used for wood.

Offline maccrazy2

Chris’ build.
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2019, 04:57:07 PM »
I used the coolant cup from my tool grinder as an oil dripper so I didn’t have to stand there with a brush the whole time.

Offline maccrazy2

Chris’ build.
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2019, 04:58:43 PM »
The cams machined to fit the main tube. This was prior to Cutter working his magic on them.

Offline maccrazy2

Chris’ build.
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2019, 05:03:38 PM »
Nice snug slip fit.

Offline Sparky_NY

Chris’ build.
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2019, 07:59:26 PM »

Wow,  you are off to a great start !

Are you going to thread the barrels or use the wedge clamping method?       I used the wedges on mine and like that method a lot.

Offline maccrazy2

Chris’ build.
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2019, 09:12:56 PM »
I am going to use the wedges. I just got done cutting the material to make the barrel plates. I plan on building a Bruce feed for these but I am debating if I should do something to accommodate a drum feed while I am making them.

Do you have any recommendations for plate thickness, bolt sizes? I haven’t made it that far yet but I am trying to build all the carrier parts in one setup so everything will align perfectly.

Offline bruski

Chris’ build.
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2019, 10:14:21 PM »

The problem with stick type of magazines in the 22 rim fire size is getting the grooves just right so the nose heavy and small rim will slide without sticking. If there is to much clearance the rims will climb on top of each other which only gets worse with the shaking recoil. If not enough clearance they stick.

Keep us posted on your build progress.

bruski

Offline Sparky_NY

Chris’ build.
« Reply #17 on: September 24, 2019, 05:57:09 AM »

Do you have any recommendations for plate thickness, bolt sizes? I haven’t made it that far yet but I am trying to build all the carrier parts in one setup so everything will align perfectly.

I used 1/4 thick 0-1 ground stock plate for the wedges with 4-40 screws.     My gun is based on the D&E (with RGG design for the internals) so it is smaller than yours, you may be able to use a #5 or #6 screw.    I seem to recall Cutter posted a drawing somewhere around here on his setup.

Offline maccrazy2

Chris’ build.
« Reply #18 on: September 24, 2019, 10:17:48 AM »
I believe I saved the picture of the drawing of that barrel plate. I need to go get some bolts so I can measure the heads. I was looking at the pieces last night and wondering if I should add thickness to the plate or not.

Offline maccrazy2

Chris’ build.
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2019, 01:44:19 PM »
Well those don’t match to well. So much for them being the same alloy.