Author Topic: stupid newbie needs advice on carrier  (Read 1211 times)

Offline Larryx

stupid newbie needs advice on carrier
« on: May 29, 2019, 12:58:30 PM »
I returned to the machining of the carrier block and in my excitement to get back to the shop I checked the print AFTER I had machined the 2.50  section which slips 0.50 inches into the box cam. I got the diameter right on but I continued the 2.50 inch section along the entire length of the carrier. this will of course give more clearance inside the casing but I need advice as to continue to the use the part - material is 12l14- or chalk it up to experience and start over..Gut feeling is that the missing 1/2 inch shouldn\'t make a diffsrence but I need the wisdom of you experienced guys to to me how to proceed.

Offline Cutter

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2019, 01:40:24 PM »

I returned to the machining of the carrier block and in my excitement to get back to the shop I checked the print AFTER I had machined the 2.50 section which slips 0.50 inches into the box cam. I got the diameter right on but I continued the 2.50 inch section along the entire length of the carrier. this will of course give more clearance inside the casing but I need advice as to continue to the use the part - material is 12l14- or chalk it up to experience and start over..Gut feeling is that the missing 1/2 inch shouldn\'t make a diffsrence but I need the wisdom of you experienced guys to to me how to proceed.

I agree with your gut feeling.

Just more clearance and a little lighter.

Offline Larryx

« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2019, 09:31:15 AM »

I need some advice on making detail A on the RG G crank block? The drawing shows the block is comprised of two pieces with the crank shaft held between.  I have made the  block but now I am at the point where I need to make the  \"backing\" piece and  make the hole which accommodates and holds the shaft. I am assuming the best course of action is to mate the back and front pieces clamp them together in some way,  and then drill the hole.  Does this make sense or is there a better way to do it?

Offline Larryx

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2019, 07:19:28 PM »

False alarm!! I misread the drawing. What I thought was a line between two surfaces was actually a feature line where the surface was actually in 2 planes. My mistake,. I guess that is what happens when you learn something and then wait 50 years before you  use it.