Author Topic: Building the Coffee Mill Gun  (Read 10720 times)

Offline epps1919

Building the Coffee Mill Gun
« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2014, 01:24:16 PM »

More trail pix.

[attachment=9744:201 (Medium).jpg]

[attachment=9745:202 (Medium).jpg]

Offline epps1919

« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2014, 01:25:37 PM »

his is 2 pix of a original carriage and a reproduction. I want mine to look like them and I am going to paint the gun and carriage olive drab and semi gloss black for the metal parts

Offline epps1919

« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2014, 07:35:38 PM »

Epps, I have read that some of the coffee mill guns used a shroud over the barrel that forced air over the barrel to cool it. Not sure if it had a fan driven by the muzzle blast within the shroud with the bullet firing through the center of the fan as the muzzle blast turned the fan, (like firing a bullet through a hole made in the center of a pinwheel so the muzzle blast will turn the pinwheel and pull in fresh air from the rear of the shroud over the barrel).....or if it worked on a vacuum/forced air induction created by the muzzle blast going forward and thus pulling in fresh air from the rear of the shroud (like the WW1 Lewis gun barrel cooling shroud works), but I do remember reading there was some kind of an apparatus like that for helping to cool the single barrel. But haven\'t been able to find out much online about how it worked nor any pics of it. In your studies of the coffee mill gun, I\'m sure you\'ve also heard about what I\'m talking about. Do you plan on trying to replicate that forced air barrel cooling shroud like was used on some of them back in the day? 

Bill. 

I have heard of it and not found any thing on it, It maybe a mith or an idea that never came to.

Offline Bill Akins

« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2014, 09:26:43 PM »

I have heard of it and not found any thing on it, It maybe a myth or an idea that never came to.

This is from wikipedia: \"Agar also added a cooling mechanism to the barrel, which consisted of a metal jacket through which air was forced to provide cooling. The air came from a turbine, which was powered by the same hand crank that was used to fire the weapon. This cooling air also tended to blow away any pieces of unburned paper from the cartridge that happened to be near the barrel. The rate of fire was also limited to 120 rounds per minute, which helped to prevent overheating.\" 

Sounds like it used a turbine fan within the shroud that was powered by the same crank that fired the gun. 

Here\'s the link to the above quote and article. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agar_gun\'>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agar_gun

Offline Cutter

« Reply #44 on: December 27, 2014, 12:00:43 PM »

Epps,

Really a nice build, very inspiring.

We all need a little inspiration occasionally.

Thanks again

Jerry

Offline epps1919

« Reply #45 on: December 27, 2014, 09:55:03 PM »

This is from wikipedia: \"Agar also added a cooling mechanism to the barrel, which consisted of a metal jacket through which air was forced to provide cooling. The air came from a turbine, which was powered by the same hand crank that was used to fire the weapon. This cooling air also tended to blow away any pieces of unburned paper from the cartridge that happened to be near the barrel. The rate of fire was also limited to 120 rounds per minute, which helped to prevent overheating.\" 

Sounds like it used a turbine fan within the shroud that was powered by the same crank that fired the gun. 

Here\'s the link to the above quote and article. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agar_gun\'>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agar_gun

The 4 existing original guns do not have any type of cooling system on them as described above.  The 120 rounds a minute is about right.  My gun will shoot about 2 rounds per second if you crank it fast.

« Last Edit: December 27, 2014, 09:56:17 PM by epps1919 »

Offline 4171

« Reply #46 on: January 01, 2015, 12:18:36 PM »

Wow that\'s cool. :mrgreen: 

Offline 4171

« Reply #47 on: January 01, 2015, 11:12:00 PM »
Very Cool! You should make plans and sell them.
Mike

Offline epps1919

« Reply #48 on: January 02, 2015, 07:52:12 PM »

Very Cool! You should make plans and sell them.

Mike

I\'m thinking about it.

Offline DonLans

« Reply #49 on: January 02, 2015, 09:42:34 PM »

I would be interested in a set.  Very nice job on that gun.

Offline epps1919

« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2015, 07:54:05 PM »

I would be interested in a set.  Very nice job on that gun.

Thank\'s, put a lot of time in to it.

Offline Dreeves

« Reply #51 on: January 05, 2015, 10:36:50 PM »
If you make plans I\'m in. Would be fun to shoot

Dave

Offline drhall762

« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2015, 11:39:20 AM »
Very cool. Please add me to your list of people interested in plans should you decide to make them available.

Dave \"happy_small.gif\"

In 100 years who of us will care?

An armed society is a polite society!

Just because they say you are paranoid doesn\'t mean they are not out to get you.

Offline Want-A-Be

« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2015, 01:49:41 PM »

I have greatly appreciated your insightfulness and ingenuity. realistically what are the possibilities of getting/buying your notes on the parts dimensions? 

Offline Dreeves

« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2017, 11:03:52 PM »
It\'s been a while and wanted to know if you ever did any plans for this gun. I would love to make one. I\'m in southeast PA and see you are in Maryland. If you are close would love to see it in person.

Dave