Author Topic: Breaking the silence  (Read 2180 times)

Offline Sparky_NY

Breaking the silence
« on: September 21, 2015, 07:06:33 PM »

I visit the forum daily and its no secret it has been very quiet for a long time now.     I figured I would break the silence a bit and maybe it will spread.

I have a DE gun about 80% complete but then I moved south (Anderson SC), and sold my machines for the move.   That was just over 2 years ago.   Now I have built a new pole barn (32x50) and aquiring new machines.    I am very anxious to go back and finish the gatgun especially with the improvements I have learned here on the forum.

I bought a 12x24 shed for a temporary shop upon arrival at the new home.   Then I found a 9x20 lathe on craigslist for $250     Then I ordered a RF45 mill from Penn Tool which I immediately began to retrofit to cnc, retrofit about 70% done.      Then......  a jet 14x40 lathe turned up on craigslist and I hauled it home for $1500.   The 14x40 was the same size I had before moving.       THEN......    a good friend is coming down from NY state at the end of the month, bringing me a bridgeport cnc, retrofit to linuxcnc about 80% done ($300 !!!) and my old boyar shultz challenger 6x12 grinder.   The fellow that bought my grinder died last year and his widow wants it out of her garage  ($500 with a ton of tooling)

Sooooooooooo.....    I have a bunch of machines on hot standby !      The barn is almost complete,  concrete floor remaining and to be done in the next few weeks.   Then put the machines in place.     I am going to be absolutely spoiled with the big workshop, the best I ever had before was a 1-1/2 car garage.

Attached pics:

Pole barn

20 inch swing cnc lathe, great condition, dynapath delta 40 control, was advertised as dead.   I had it powered up and fixed within a half hour of starting. ($1000 !!! )

NOTE  Having problems getting pics to attach !      I emailed the pics to Dave to help me out.  

« Last Edit: September 21, 2015, 07:23:38 PM by Sparky_NY »

Offline Cutter

Breaking the silence
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2015, 11:03:35 AM »
Maybe you\'ll be ready for the next CO-OP build.

If your interested.

Offline Sparky_NY

Breaking the silence
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2015, 11:17:18 AM »

Maybe you\'ll be ready for the next CO-OP build.

If your interested.

Hell Ya !     I am soooooooo jealous !            I am also gratefull that you guys are doing all  the leg work, getting all the bugs worked out and such.   LOL

i sent those pics to Dave but have not heard anything yet.   They refused to post for me.

Offline Timcor123

Breaking the silence
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 09:22:59 PM »
WOW and I thought I was busy.  As the weather gets colder and drives me inside, I will get back on my gun.  Hope to finish it this year.

Also have no luck posting pictures.

Tim

Offline Cutter

Breaking the silence
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 11:03:33 AM »
Send the pictures to me, I\'ll post them for anyone.
jlkcutter@verizon.net

Offline Cutter

Breaking the silence
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 05:25:17 PM »

Pictures for Sparky_NY

« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 05:26:48 PM by Cutter »

Offline Sparky_NY

Breaking the silence
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2015, 07:50:02 PM »

A little explaination of the lathe picture:     I swung the control head and arm around to the rear to allow the forklisft to get in closer.      Lathes are naturally top heavy and I had concerns about that.   There is no really good points to strap by up high on the machine, its mostly sheet metal enclosure and door.    I took some 5ft lengths of channel iron and bolted them on the bottom using the leveling feet holes to provide a wider stance and more stability.    The control is a dynapath delta 40.

(MUCH thanks to Cutter for posting the pics for me !,    Dave is away on vacation for another week)

« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 07:51:02 PM by Sparky_NY »

Offline Roller

Breaking the silence
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2015, 06:59:03 PM »

Sparky,

Nice to see your getting established in your new home, and the shop looks great as well as your machine tool acquisitions. 

Do you have three phase power or are you using a phase converter?

Frank

Offline Sparky_NY

Breaking the silence
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2015, 08:14:20 PM »

No 3 phase.     There is a \"chance\" the lathe will run off single phase,  the VFD is a yaskawa which is rated 200-240 and I will never load the spindle up to the full 7.5 hp.   I\'m going to give the single phase a try first and if that does not work out, then I have a 15hp motor that I will use to build a rotary phase converter.    I will use the phase converter to feed the VFD only and run a seperate 120V line for all the other electronics.  I have build rotary converters before, its no big deal.

Before I moved, I had a gang tool cnc lathe and it ran just fine off single phase.   I did have to turn the acceleration down a bit but thats no problem at all.

Offline Roller

Breaking the silence
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2015, 06:46:17 PM »

I have been using static phase converters with no problems.  Your variable frequency drive should work well with your machine. 

I had an Allen Bradley VFD that a friend gave me, but never used it.

Frank

Offline Sparky_NY

Breaking the silence
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2015, 06:50:35 PM »

I have been using static phase converters with no problems.  Your variable frequency drive should work well with your machine. 

I had an Allen Bradley VFD that a friend gave me, but never used it.

Frank

The VFD is a factory installed part of the cnc lathe,   not something I am adding.  

Offline Dave

• Site Admin
  • Administrator
Breaking the silence
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2015, 09:03:42 PM »

Sorry, I just went to post the pics and there here. Did you get flooded George?

Offline Sparky_NY

Breaking the silence
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2015, 06:34:31 AM »

Sorry, I just went to post the pics and there here. Did you get flooded George?

Hi Dave, hope you had a fun vacation.    Cutter jumped in and offered to post the pics for me,  many thanks to him for that.     No flooding here,  I live in what is known as upstate SC.   The flooding and insane rain (27 inches in one spot !) was pretty much in within 100 miles of the coast.    Here, we got 4 inches total of rain but it didn\'t cause any problems.    My land is on high ground which never hurts.