Author Topic: Lathe Carriage Gears on the 1100  (Read 1581 times)

Lathe Carriage Gears on the 1100
« on: April 20, 2014, 11:15:56 PM »
While I know better than to walk away during a lathe turning operation, that doesn\'t mean that I don\'t do it. Usually not a problem but this time I was not so lucky. The carriage jammed into the headstock and mangle the teeth on the drive pinion bending the pinion shaft. Fortunately the rack was not damaged at all. Since getting replacement parts is wishful thinking, you either make a replacement or turn the machine into a wood lathe. The pinion is a 1.5 Module, 13 Tooth, 20 Deg gear.

I thought I would share my experience cutting Shaved Gears on the 1100. I use the Gearotic software package to generate G-Code to produced spur and helical gears. Since the the teeth are cut by shaving to generate the involute, they are very accurate in form when compared to teeth cut with a conventional involute cutters.

The gear shown here is from my lathe saddle that meshes with the bed rack to drive the saddle. This gear had broken teeth and a bent shaft due to being jammed in feed. The blank was cut from a piece of pre-hardened 4340 (Rc36) and mounted in the 4th axis using a collet chuck. The teeth were cut using a 1/16\" carbide end mill. This didn\'t set speed records but when the teeth were measured using my gear tooth caliper the variation was very small and essentially on nominal size. Replaced gear works better than new with very minimal backlash.

I have used this to cut several gear sets with very good results.

nitewatchman

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2014, 11:25:33 PM »
Nice job. Thanks for sharing the pics as I\'m still learning.

Later 42rocker

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2014, 10:36:28 AM »
Thanks for sharing. The nice part about having a belt drive lathe is that it is a little more forgiving when things like that happen. I crashed my South Bend 10L but didn\'t do any real damage other than to my ego. :oops:  

I am anxious to get my 770 working but it will have to wait a few weeks. I made a 4th axis for my Little Machine Shop CNC and haven\'t decided if I will keep it for the 770 or buy a new one from Tormach and sell the other one with the LMS CNC. I made it from a Vertex 6\" rotary table and it works nice on it. I have the Gearotic software but have not tried cutting gears with it. Necessity is the great motivator.

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 02:45:47 PM »
Very nice work Gary :!: