Author Topic: tool library for bobcad-cam  (Read 2135 times)

tool library for bobcad-cam
« on: April 20, 2012, 03:40:08 PM »
HI, I am adding tools to the tool library in my bobcad-cam software and they ask for several measurements on the tool. The diameter, flute length, corner radius, number of flutes and the overall length.
 What or where do I measure for the overall length of the tool and tool holder? Do I measure from the bottom of the flange on the tool holder to the tip of the tool or from the bottom of the collet to the tip of the tool? Thanks,
bruski

« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2012, 06:50:14 PM »
[quote name=\"bruski\"]HI, I am adding tools to the tool library in my bobcad-cam software and they ask for several measurements on the tool. The diameter, flute length, corner radius, number of flutes and the overall length.
 What or where do I measure for the overall length of the tool and tool holder? Do I measure from the bottom of the flange on the tool holder to the tip of the tool or from the bottom of the collet to the tip of the tool? Thanks,
bruski[/quote]
It depends where you measure offline tools from.  As long as you\'re consistent, you\'re good.  But.. are you using Mach tool length offsets?  If so, you don\'t need to tell BCC what the length is-- it will make the Verify look nicer (good if you want to see what a t-slot cutter or slitting saw or something is doing), but that\'s about it.

« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2012, 06:59:43 PM »
OK Thanks shred. I will try and put the length from the bottom of the tool holder flange to the tip of the tool on all of the tools that I have in holders already and see what happens with that for now.
 It is funny that bobcad doesn\'t show a diagram of this measurement because they show a lot of detailed stuff in the setup instructions.
bruski