Author Topic: Home Brew Toolpost Grinder  (Read 2812 times)

Home Brew Toolpost Grinder
« on: December 23, 2011, 10:01:21 PM »
Here is the Donor!

More to come next year.
Matt

Offline Dave

• Site Admin
  • Administrator
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2011, 08:53:09 PM »
Id like to see this, I have a small dremel sized one for small stuff...

« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2011, 10:27:45 PM »
Might go through the work of building a spindle for it, in case I want to up grade to a varible speed router for more wheel speed and getting the spindle down to the center line of the lathe. My wife picked up that little grinder last year on black friday sale for like $16, so I\'m not out much.

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2011, 07:49:54 PM »
I just got back from my parents for Chirstmas. I dad gave me my grandpa\'s old valve grinder thats been laying around there for the last 40+yrs. BTW grandpa turned 86 today. Looks like it will be a better fit for a tool post grinder than my first idea.

Not very big, but a heavy little beast.
Matt

Offline Dave

• Site Admin
  • Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2012, 09:29:31 PM »
You get anywhere with it yet?

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 04:48:02 PM »
Here is one that I made from a universal motor with variable speed control and a rubber belt from a vacuum cleaner.
bruski

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2012, 10:43:34 AM »
What great idea!  I built a skate sharpener years ago and still have the main body laying around.  It\'s almost exactly the same design you have come up with and now the light bulb has come on!  Thanks for the inspiration.  A tool post grinder is a lot more useful now that I live in Arizona don\'t skate any more.  That\'s the great thing about this site; there\'s always fresh ideas for getting the job done.  I assume that you want the spindle centerline to match the lathe and I assume you want the wheel to turn the opposite of the lathe spindle.  If not, (or if you have any other suggestions) please, let me know.  Again, thanks.

JD

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2012, 02:32:37 PM »
The main thing is to get the centerlines lined up ok. If your rotation is in the wrong direction, you can always run the lathe in the other direction. When you use the grinder, be sure to cover as much of your lathe as possible to keep the grit off of your beds etc.
bruski

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 10:26:54 AM »
Thanks for the update and clarification.  I am currently working on the bolts but I always like to try and plan ahead and, judging by other posts and pictures, a tool post grinder will come in very handy for a lot of jobs.  It will still be a while before I get to it but I now have a great example to follow.  Thanks again.

JD