Author Topic: Home Brew Lathe DRO  (Read 2405 times)

Home Brew Lathe DRO
« on: December 21, 2011, 10:19:56 PM »

These will be the scales and display I will be using. The the display is from CDCO and the scales are from Shars.

First I buffed the paint off the back of the cross slide carriage. Then drilled and tapped two 1/4 20 holes.

Next I cut a piece of 3/4x1x1 3/4 for the mounting block. Drilled two 17/64 holes for mounting. Also a tapped 1/4 20 on top and bottom and a 10-32 top and bottom and two 10-32 on one side.

Here\'s the mounting block all mounted up with two 1/4 20 by 1/2 cap screws.

Then to cut a piece of 2x2x3/16 angle for the cross slide scale mount. Drill holes to fit the mounting block. Rounded edges of mounting block to fit inside of angle.

Next I cut a piece of angle to fit the carriage scale. Drilled and tapped three 10-32 holes in the bottom for jack screws to aid in leveling. Three 17/64 holes in top for mounting and two 3/16 holes for mounting the scale.

Here I milled where the three 17/64 mounting holes are so the cap screws will be flat on the inside curve of the angle.

Here I\'m getting ready to transfer punch the mounting holes for the carriage scale mount. When punched, drilled and tapped the three holes for 1/4 20.

Next mounted up the carriage scale mount with three 1/4 20x 3/4 cap screws. Shim out top with washers and used the 10-32 jack screws in the bottom to level scale mount in all directions. The 2\" dial indicator was a big help in doing this.

This shows the carriage scale mounted to the two 10-32 machine screws using nuts as shims.

Here I reinstalled the cross slide scale mount and scale to the mounting block. Now to start fabricating the scale brackets.

These are two 1/2x2x1 3/4 pieces that I\'ll mill for the back of the scales.

Here I\'m finish milling up the scale L brackets and installed them with two 3.5mm hex screws.

Next I milled the cross slide L bracket and transfer punched the cross slide. Then drilled and tapped two 6-32 holes.

Next drilled and transfer punched both the carriage L brackets for 6-32.

Then made the 1/2\" connecting rod and drilled and tapped for 6-32. Squared and shimmed.

Here I\'m drilling and counter boring the cross slide L bracket for 6-32 cap screw

Well here she is all the mounts and brackets are finshed and mounted. Everything moves freely and clears each other perfectly. Now the scales are protected from swarf and cutting fluids from the angle iron scale mounts. Which is why I choose this design.

Matt

Offline Dave

• Site Admin
  • Administrator
Home Brew Lathe DRO
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 10:29:16 PM »
Amazing! where did you learn to do all the cnc stuff?

Home Brew Lathe DRO
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 10:50:56 PM »
Mostly Here http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com ... 54185b585&

I lost my left arm in 2006 due to a difference of opinion with a rockcrusher. This has made my venture in learning machining very interesting. I never did any machining up to about a 3yrs ago, but with the internet a some videos I\'m coming along very well. I felt there was a need for some decent tooling for prothestics, so I had an Idea of a wrist that could lock in 18,000 different positions and have quick change tooling. So I went back to work crushing gravel and on my off time taught my self how to machine. and came up with this about a year ago.

I guess necessity is mother for all invention
Matt :D

Offline Dave

• Site Admin
  • Administrator
Home Brew Lathe DRO
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 10:58:43 PM »
I seen that post over there with the wrenches... Sorry about the arm, but glad your doing stuff!!!

Offline Dave

• Site Admin
  • Administrator
Home Brew Lathe DRO
« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 11:02:00 PM »
Thats just too cool!!!