Author Topic: 9x19 Conversion  (Read 2130 times)

9x19 Conversion
« on: December 21, 2011, 09:44:12 PM »

also pick up some dual pole toggle switches so i can use the same driver from the mill and flip 3 toggles instead of changing cables each time.

the two steppers that I\'ll be using

Here we where workn on the ball screws.

the Z axis Stepper mount

cross slide ballscrew mount

Vised a piece of .50\" and milled the mounting holes. Then the hole for the ballscrew.
Tapped 15/16-16 for the ball nut.

Then continued to mill out the profile.

Here we have it all mounted up to the cross silde.

Mach 3 has great wizards to cut different shapes. Used one to cut the DB9 plug in holes in the stepper connection boxes.

Video

All thats needed to finish the conversion is a switch box in between the lathe and mill.

I found a couple of TV mounts at a yard sale this summer, so I worked them over a bit. I want to get my computer, keyboard, and jog pad off the bench and out of the swarf.

While I was re routing the wires, and running a new wire for the cnc rt that\'s coming soon, I thought it be a good time to move my lathe to a new bench to make things easier. Where the lathe was, made for a real PITA to clean swarf up behind it because of the wall, and the head stock was positioned to my left and the computer was 180 deg. back to my right. This also made for a PITA for doing setups, having to look behind me for DRO readings.

Now both the computer and everything rotates between both the Mill and lathe. Also the lathe will be easier to clean up, because I can access both sides

Took a whole day, but it turned out exactly the way I wanted it.
Matt

9x19 Conversion
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2013, 07:50:16 PM »
This is an old thread -- but if your thinking about doing a cnc conversion to your lathe or mill there are a few good ideas here.
Thanks for posting this.

Later 42rocker