Author Topic: I suggested this forum, I guess I should put something in it  (Read 2793 times)

I suggested this forum, I guess I should put something in it
« on: February 03, 2011, 08:45:23 PM »

Thirty years ago , when I was in machine shop school, I had a Atlas lathe that was worn out. The back gears, back gear shaft, and mounts were missing. Most of the threading gears were missing also. After I made some parts and got it working I found it was not every good lathe. Ever since then I have wanted a good lathe and mill. While the economy has been bad the company I work for has cut way back on employees and has wanted to sell off equipment. Like a IDIOT I let them sell a MAZAK Quick Turn 8 (a little old but in very good condition)for next to nothing that only needed a controller board ($1,000). So, I woke up and traded some vacation for a mill (MSC Supply company - Bridgeport clone) and \"worked off\" a JFMT - Pilgrim Lathe 13x30. The lathe is about 15 years old but the mill is all but new. All it has been used for is tapping parts. I put them in my basement so I had to get a Phase converter. I built a 5HP rotary converter to run my drill press. Oh, I forgot, the first thing I got from work was a pretty big drill press. Go to http://www.practicalmachinist.com/for all the info you need on building a rotary phase converter. Great site! Anyway, for all three I have spent $0.00 . The moral of the store is \"You can find a bargain if you wait around for thirty years or so.\" The only drawback to that strategy is you might get old and die before that bargain comes around. Also, while I was going to machine shop school & working in a foundry they got in couple of railroad car loads of square tubing and flat steel. I loaded a large crate with pieces and bought them for scrap price. From that I build a cut off saw with a motor out of an old shoe sewing machine and a band saw. They only have one speed but they cut…

[attachment=9532:DSC04347-id=394.JPG]

[attachment=9533:DSC04346-id=393.JPG]

[attachment=9534:DSC04344-id=392.JPG]

[attachment=9535:DSC04345-id=391.JPG]

« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 05:11:31 PM by Dave »

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2011, 08:49:55 PM »

More Pics..Also, one pic is the wireing diagram for my rotary phase converter.

[attachment=9536:5 HP Rotary Converter Dwg-id=396.jpg]

[attachment=9537:DSC04348-id=395.JPG]

« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 05:12:13 PM by Dave »

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2011, 10:59:21 AM »
What a great setup. I wish my workshop was that comprehensive. I\'m getting there though. ;-)