Author Topic: Your opinion on this  (Read 1569 times)

Offline maccrazy2

Your opinion on this
« on: January 06, 2019, 09:39:58 PM »

Offline Cutter

Your opinion on this
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 11:44:32 AM »

For what it’s worth.

A casting is just a piece of material.

Those look like sand castings, which could have some porosity.

Maybe they have an inspection and x-ray report.

Some castings are very difficult , due to limited material.

The first cut could effect a number of future cuts. ( A well planned approach helps )

If you don’t like a casting finish, you’ll need to cut everything.

Castings , not my choice. 

Offline bruski

Your opinion on this
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 12:44:29 PM »

Not a bad price though considering the castings are all brass. See if he will take $3,500. if you are interested.

bruski

Offline maccrazy2

Your opinion on this
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 12:52:03 PM »
It is the first set of drawings I have seen offered for an original gun. I am asking about how complete the dimensions are on the drawings.

I want to build a few small ones before I consider a full size however, if he has everything info wise I may make an offer on it for a future build.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2019, 12:55:52 PM by maccrazy2 »

Offline Dave

• Site Admin
  • Administrator
Your opinion on this
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 08:17:43 PM »

For what it’s worth.

A casting is just a piece of material.

Those look like sand castings, which could have some porosity.

Maybe they have an inspection and x-ray report.

Some castings are very difficult , due to limited material.

The first cut could effect a number of future cuts. ( A well planned approach helps )

If you don’t like a casting finish, you’ll need to cut everything.

Castings , not my choice. 

Theres no guarantee that they will clean up either. Could be junk

Offline 4171

Your opinion on this
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 09:20:43 AM »
Wonder if someone could get a look at the drawings? Lol maybe we start a go fund me account for this forum. Buy them up then post here!😎

Offline Sparky_NY

Your opinion on this
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2019, 09:34:28 AM »

Anderson Guncraft on their webpage tells about how they use sand castings.   They also talk about drawings made from blueprinting a original gun.     Its pretty hard to believe that there are a lot of molds out there made from a original gun.

Wonder if the castings for sale in that ad are somehow related to Anderson Guncraft?       Could possibly be some of their rejects even.

Offline maccrazy2

Your opinion on this
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2019, 10:48:59 AM »
I sent a message asking about how complete the plans are as well as where the castings were done and if any other guns were built using the same castings and plans. No response as of yet.

Offline maccrazy2

Your opinion on this
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2019, 07:35:44 PM »
I spoke with him today. Turns out we have attended a few of the same machinegun shoots years ago.

The castings came from someone in Colorado but he is not sure who did them or if any guns were produced from them prior.

The drawings look pretty good from the sample I saw. All the measurements are in fractions. I’m not sure if they are clear enough to do a complete build without seeing a working sample for some of the fine details. I sent a message with a few questions related to the drawings he sent to see if there is enough info to work off of the drawings alone.

Offline Dave

• Site Admin
  • Administrator
Your opinion on this
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2019, 07:47:21 PM »

You can follow Anderson Guncraft on facebook, if you have it. He posts a lot of pics of his guns in progress

https://www.facebook.com/andersonguncraft/\'>https://www.facebook.com/andersonguncraft/

Here is a casting vid from them....

https://www.facebook.com/andersonguncraft/videos/1657400920946530/\'>https://www.facebook.com/andersonguncraft/videos/1657400920946530/

« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 07:49:22 PM by Dave »

Offline maccrazy2

Your opinion on this
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2019, 01:38:06 PM »
I had about an hour conversation with Brian at Anderson yesterday. He was a wealth of knowledge.  

Apparently he has already fielded some call on this set of castings/plans. The gist of it was there is a high likelihood that the parts would be too small unless castings were done by an experienced casting person who knows how to deal with shrinkage during the casting process. Beyond that the dimensions appear to be from a later model gun. In short not worth the risk.