Author Topic: Badge/Medallion  (Read 4787 times)

Offline brk

Badge/Medallion
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2020, 12:10:19 AM »

Here are some pictures of a Paul Moore medallion that I purchased from him years ago.  They were flat, had to form them. Use some heavy wall tubing (~1/2\" wall) for an outer die and a piece of solid for an inner die. Had to make the inner die a little under the 3\" of the breech casing.  The outer die had the ID bored to 3\" + 2 times the thickness of the medallion + some room for a piece of rubber to lay over the top side of the medallion to protect the engraving. The medallion had to be annealed (heat to dull red and quench in water to anneal brass/bronze) to make an initial forming, then annealed a second time and pressed again with the dies. I had used glass bead to blast after the annealing. Then turned a piece of aluminum to 2.960\" OD and used contact adhesive to stick on a sheet of 180 grit wet/dry sandpaper. The OD of this sanding arbor with paper was 3\" with the paper and then sanded the inside of the medallion to get a nice match to the breech housing. (the forming wasn\'t perfect).  The outside lip had to be worked some too after forming as it had some deformation, a file and then sanding blocks around the outer vertical edge.  Then hit the top of the letters with some wet/dry up to 600 grit.    I drilled and tapped the cam section to secure to the breech housing.  It could still use polishing with brass polish yet.  Lots of work, but in the end turned out pretty good.

Offline Sparky_NY

Badge/Medallion
« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2020, 06:41:48 AM »

Very nice !        My .357 housing is 4.375 OD so fortunately the bend radius won\'t be as severe as the smaller .22 guns.     Annealing is still the way to go.

Offline Sparky_NY

Badge/Medallion
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2020, 04:25:31 PM »

Figured I would revive this old thread.     Last week I ordered one of those Chinese air cooled spindles,  1.5KW,  24,000 rpm,  ER16 nose and its matching Huanyang VFD.    The package is scheduled to arrive here Wednesday.     The ability to efficiently run very tiny endmills and do engraving was the reason for the purchase.    A medallion for my .357 gat gun is one of the first projects I have in mind.

I am going to make a bracket that clamps around the quill of my bridgeport cnc to mount it when needed.     Should be fun and will get me back out in the shop,  its been a while.

Offline maccrazy2

Badge/Medallion
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2020, 03:03:40 PM »
I like it. Looks great!

Offline maccrazy2

Badge/Medallion
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2020, 08:42:26 PM »
I was looking at the watercooled spindle to use on one of my machines for projects I can’t use my precision spindle on. Let me know how you like your air cooled unit.