Author Topic: gear drive  (Read 1074 times)

Offline Sparky_NY

gear drive
« on: December 09, 2018, 12:42:25 PM »

I am at the point on the 357 that I need to get a crank made and gears mounted.

I would be very interested to see various options for mounting the smaller worm gear on the crankshaft and for support blocks.  I made the gears and the small one has no keyway broached yet.    Snap rings, collars, etc.  there seems to be a lot of choices.     I wonder also if a thrust bearing is worth doing.     Again, this is from the small gear on the crankshaft,  the larger gear I have all sorted out.   Ease of disassembly is desired too.

I had not planned on the shaft extending out the opposite side of the housing from the crank but that could change if needed.

« Last Edit: December 09, 2018, 12:44:11 PM by Sparky_NY »

Offline Cutter

gear drive
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 08:05:17 PM »

I am at the point on the 357 that I need to get a crank made and gears mounted.

I would be very interested to see various options for mounting the smaller worm gear on the crankshaft and for support blocks.  I made the gears and the small one has no keyway broached yet.    Snap rings, collars, etc.  there seems to be a lot of choices.     I wonder also if a thrust bearing is worth doing.     Again, this is from the small gear on the crankshaft,  the larger gear I have all sorted out.   Ease of disassembly is desired too.

I had not planned on the shaft extending out the opposite side of the housing from the crank but that could change if needed.

This is what I’m using.

Two pins & two collars with a .03 counter bore

just to keep the pins in place

Offline Sparky_NY

gear drive
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2018, 06:41:53 AM »

Finished up mine yesterday.   LOL

Used a support block similar to the RGG for the crankshaft but a lot more \"meat\" to it.    Maybe being paranoid but I figure that block backs up the recoil plate and distributes the recoil over a larger area.   used a couple needle thrust bearings each side of the drive gear.  Also a thrust bearing between the driven gear and the recoil plate.  

Will post pic later.