Author Topic: Extractor pivot hole location?  (Read 3290 times)

Extractor pivot hole location?
« on: February 26, 2014, 12:22:24 PM »
Guess we are having a senior moment. We milled the extractor slot and pocket and the extractor fits okay but can\'t quite get in my head how it extractor will pivot since the slot is only .020 deeper than the thickness of the extractor. I see where to locate the hole in the bolt for the pivot pin but I am missing where it goes in the extractor. Help please! Thanks Dennis :?:

« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 07:27:50 PM »
Dennis,
Set the extractor to the bottom of the slot with a .063 shim in front
per 48-21 description. It will tip up because of the 15° angle on bottom
is past the center line of the pivot point. The dimensions on print 48-21
are used. .437  and .080
The periphery dimensions for the slot and extractor are metal to metal so make sure
 you have enough clearance for free movement.

Good luck

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 10:27:13 AM »
I just don\'t understand how a piece that is siting on two flats, one in front and one in back with a pin in between can rock. Is the rear flat milled deeper than the front flat or is the extractor lifted up off of the flats? Sorry to be so slow but it is just not computing in my head. :oops:

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 01:17:49 PM »
Dennis,
If it looks something like this, you\'ll have about 2° movement
which will lift the end .035

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2014, 08:22:55 PM »
Thanks Jerry. It finally makes sense. The flats on the extractor are up off of the flats on the bolt. We calculated the pivot hole location on the extractor to be .069. We drilled the bolt and extractor separate. In addition we milled and additional .005 off of the rear flat on the bolt slot and milled a .250 radius on the extractor tip to match the bullet. We used the spring from a Bic lighter but thought it was to heavy as the wire was .0125 so we just ordered springs from Lee Spring. At this point our test bolt and barrel load and extract very nice. Thanks again for you patience.

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2014, 03:20:56 AM »
[quote name=\"drhardin\"]I just don\'t understand how a piece that is siting on two flats, one in front and one in back with a pin in between can rock. Is the rear flat milled deeper than the front flat or is the extractor lifted up off of the flats? Sorry to be so slow but it is just not computing in my head. :oops:[/quote]

I\'m new to this forum and I also have a question about the extractor. the location of the pivot hole is from the upper edge of the periphery of the bolt. However a step is actually created when the .125 slot is milled resulting in a chord the location of which is about .012 below the periphery. So where is the location given from, the periphery or the resulting chord ?
Thanks
ronzo

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2014, 08:54:28 AM »
According to the drawing, it is .080\" below the top of the extractor.  The top of the extractor mounted in the bolt slot was the reference I used for mine, which is very close to the top of the flat created that you mentioned.  That\'s what I did, maybe someone else has a different way.

Don

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2014, 04:17:22 PM »
If it shows on one of our pictures we had to cut another relief depth cut on the back end of the extractor slot. ( spring end ) This allowed more movement of the extractor. Our final dimension from the extractor top surface was .069\". So .069 + .012 = .081 from bolt surface. Our hole location from the extractor top surface tip back was 1.043 or a more accurate dimension from inside edge of extractor tip was 1.001.
Do yourself a favor and make a practice bolt with just a turned diameter and the extractor slot.

I wish this was our only problem now. Dennis will be posting the latest dilemma.  :cry:

Brian

Offline dburn

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2017, 05:49:56 PM »
Forget everything you see and make like the one in the picture No springs or pins

Offline Cutter

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2017, 06:49:26 PM »

So, It\'s ridig ?

Offline Cutter

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2017, 11:24:04 AM »
Look under Machining/extractors for more information