Author Topic: RGG gun questions on functioning  (Read 2914 times)

RGG gun questions on functioning
« on: December 22, 2011, 11:53:54 AM »
I just picked up a completely built RG gun that only needs the final fit/finish work completed.  The machining is exceptional quality.   At any rate,  I started checking the gun over for function and have a few questions that would make life a lot easier.   I could not find any info on these things in my searching around.

Installing the bolts        The gun had the bolts installed and they rotate and function fine.  I removed the bolts and spent
                                 the next 2 hours getting them back in !!!!    What is the procedure to install the bolts and get the
                                 flats engaged properly so the lug is oriented properly????   I found the bolt extractor of little use in
                                 reinstalling the bolts.  They wanted to end up rotated from their proper position.  Surely there must
                                 be a easy way to install them and get the flats lined up so the bolt is rotationally oriented correct.
                                 Once installed they function perfectly.

Feeding rounds             There is a problem here.  The bolts push the round forward by the tip of the extractor and then
                                  things jam up when the round is almost completely seated in the barrell.  Is the extractor hook
                                  supposed to snap over the cartridge rim just before the bolt is fully closed?   This does not happen
                                  and I assume it should and thus the reason for the jam.   If I carefully put the round under the
                                  extractor hook the round chambers fine and extracts beautifully.

Stick mag feeding          The spring loaded finger on the mag base prevents rounds from leaving the mag.  The weight in
                                  the top of the mag is not nearly enough to overcome the spring finger and allow a round to exit.  
                                  Is there supposed to be some feature that pushes in the spring finger when the mag is installed
                                  so that cartridges are free to exit the mag?

I would really appreciate any help in understanding these areas of the guns operation.   I am in the process of building a D&E gun but that is a different beast completely functionally than this RG-G gun.

George

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2011, 12:26:53 PM »
[quote name=\"Sparky_NY\"]I just picked up a completely built RG gun that only needs the final fit/finish work completed.
George[/quote]
Congratulations on the score, makes me envious.
[quote name=\"Sparky_NY\"]Installing the bolts        The gun had the bolts installed and they rotate and function fine.  I removed the bolts and spent
                                 the next 2 hours getting them back in !!!!    What is the procedure to install the bolts and get the
                                 flats engaged properly so the lug is oriented properly????   I found the bolt extractor of little use in
                                 reinstalling the bolts.  They wanted to end up rotated from their proper position.  Surely there must
                                 be a easy way to install them and get the flats lined up so the bolt is rotationally oriented correct.
                                 Once installed they function perfectly.
George[/quote]
I have found that cursing loudly tends to assist the reinstallation of the bolts. One of the changes I hope to work on over the holidays is a removeable top for the casing. This would allow access to the bolts for installation and timing issues. Looks highly doable but requires a three piece box cam.
[quote name=\"Sparky_NY\"]Feeding rounds             There is a problem here.  The bolts push the round forward by the tip of the extractor and then
                                  things jam up when the round is almost completely seated in the barrell.  Is the extractor hook
                                  supposed to snap over the cartridge rim just before the bolt is fully closed?   This does not happen
                                  and I assume it should and thus the reason for the jam.   If I carefully put the round under the
                                  extractor hook the round chambers fine and extracts beautifully.
George[/quote]

The Hook Extractor should have an angle machined on the end to encourage it to snap over the head of the cartridge as it is chambered. There are a couple of other details that are not so obivous that also have to work. The extractor is pivoted on a pin that allows it to pivot up and snap over, for this to occur the there must be sufficent depth in the groove cut into the bolt to allow the extractor to pivot without bottoming out. The spring at the tail of the extractor must also be able to compress without \"coil binding\" and not be too strong, 1/8\" \"o-ring\" materail has been used for this in the past. The relief cut in the Barrel Plate and Barrel must also be long and deep enough so that the extractor can pivot up to snap over the head of the cartridge. The bolt/extractor does not see sufficent resistance to \"snap over\" until the cartridge is chambered. In your D&E gun the cartridge is encouraged to rotate up under the extractor by the slopes on the pan.
[quote name=\"Sparky_NY\"]Stick mag feeding          The spring loaded finger on the mag base prevents rounds from leaving the mag.  The weight in
                                  the top of the mag is not nearly enough to overcome the spring finger and allow a round to exit.  
                                  Is there supposed to be some feature that pushes in the spring finger when the mag is installed
                                  so that cartridges are free to exit the mag?

George[/quote]

The \"Spring Loaded Finger\" on the bottom of the magazine should be machined so that as the magazine is inserted into the gun the top of the finger is depressed by the magazine slot opening the bottom of the finger and allowing the cartridges to exit the magazine, if the magazine is withdrawn the finger should piviot back closing the magazine. The weight is simply to improve the flow of the cartridges since they are relatively light in weight.

Hope this helps.

nitewatchman

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2011, 01:22:05 PM »

Now thats good service! Wow, what a fast reply!

So, its not me or something off in machining that is making the bolts such a bear to install. That is both good and bad news at the same time.

The feeding and extractor functioning is as I guessed. My gut instinct says the tension is too high and maybe a little fine tuning on the shape of the extractor will do the trick. The clearance slot for the extractor in the barrells seems fine, once the extractor is coaxed over the rim all is well, the bolt closes nicely and extracts great.

As for the stick mag, from your description it sounds like there is a section on the magazine housing missing, the one that pushes the spring finger in when the mag is seated. That is easy enough to cure, a check of the plans should cure that in short order.

I think I am in good shape now ! Your help was most appreciated!

FYI The gun was built by a local machinist, at work, with permission during quiet times, on modern cnc equipment. The gun is built entirely from stainless and brass except the extractors and firing pins. The workmanship and finish are outstanding. The guy is not into guns at all, does not even own one, just built it for fun and to keep busy. I am going to attempt to attach a picture. The gun is actually for a lifelong friend of mine that lives in another city. I picked up the gun and paid for it for him. Because of my gatling knowledge and curiosity about the RG-G design I am working some of the initial bugs out of the gun for him before he picks it up. Fortunately, my friend is a avid gun collector and extremely skilled mechanically, he has a lathe and mill also. He was going to built the RG gun years ago, bought the plans but put them on the shelf when he seen the difficulity. This gun turned up locally and the rest is history.

Ready for this??????????? $1400 I sure think that is a absolute steal. I was very tempted myself.

Bet your more than envious now !! LOL

Thanks again!

George

[attachment=9478:rg-gun-id=590.JPG]

« Last Edit: December 24, 2014, 03:32:32 PM by Dave »

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2011, 04:30:35 PM »
$1,400 - Really.

Well Merry Christmas!

Offline ronzo

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2015, 01:56:43 AM »
I made a tool for installing and extracting bolts. I  don\'t know how to upload a sketch or picture from my ipad so here goes with a mental sketch. Start with a piece of 5/8 or larger round stock about 4 1/2 long. I used steel because that\'s what I had laying around. Turn about 2-1/2 \" down to .615 - .620. Drill a hole .515 dia x .88 deep in the turned end. Now mill a .19 slot through one wall to .28 from the end leaving the .12 radius by the end mill. Turn it over and mill another slot 180 deg. from the first one.Now at the bottom of the slot mill to the side about .16 producing a bayonet type slot.

Install the bolts as per normal using your fingers then slide the tool over the end of the bolt using the straight slot over the cam follower. Rotate the bolt slightly from side to side using the tool to line up the flats on the carrier and push forward. You can use the bayonet slot to hook onto the follower to extract it. Made life a whole lot eaier for me. Hope it does for you as well.

Ron