Author Topic: Dennis & Brian\'s Build  (Read 14247 times)

Dennis & Brian\'s Build
« Reply #80 on: April 09, 2014, 10:35:59 AM »
[quote name=\"42rocker\"]Nice setup Thanks for sharing that.

Later 42rocker[/quote]

Hope you find it useful. How is your build doing? I haven\'t notice any progress posts lately.

Dennis & Brian\'s Build
« Reply #81 on: April 09, 2014, 02:33:27 PM »
[quote name=\"42rocker\"]Nice setup Thanks for sharing that.

Later 42rocker[/quote]
 Hi !
Thanks for all the nice replies and comments and hope your build is progressing !

Brian

Dennis & Brian\'s Build
« Reply #82 on: April 12, 2014, 01:31:10 AM »
Several other things had to be worked on. A few of us in our group got together tonight and talked. I\'m going to work on some of the bolt parts on Sat. I hope.

Thanks for sharing all of this in your build thread.

Later 42rocker

Dennis & Brian\'s Build
« Reply #83 on: April 17, 2014, 08:38:18 AM »
We sure will be glad to get these cocking rings finished. Need to cut the ramp angles, cut them apart, finished  both ends to the final length and the height of the added step for the cocking switch.

We used a 30 degree cutter to cut the outside ramp angle and a 15 degree cutter to cut the inside ramp angle. It appears that as long as the bolt clears the ramp the actual angle is not important. The flats will take the recoil from the bolt plug.

Dennis & Brian\'s Build
« Reply #84 on: April 17, 2014, 08:53:59 AM »
Brian continues to plow ahead after I go home for the night. He drilled and taped the holes in the rear cam. We are using 4-40 rather than 2-56 screws. Tapped the mounting holes in the cocking switch and mounted it on the recoil plate. Sharpened the endmills I dull. Match drilled and reamed  the recoil plate hole for the cocking switch.

Dennis & Brian\'s Build
« Reply #85 on: April 17, 2014, 08:58:54 AM »
Great job. I like the idea of coming in from the side for the 30 degree cut on the cocking ring.

Looking good.

I worked a few minutes on cutting material for bolts last night and also worked on finishing my house. Someday.

Later 42rocker

Dennis & Brian\'s Build
« Reply #86 on: April 17, 2014, 08:39:20 PM »
great job  on the cocking ring  

Markus

Dennis & Brian\'s Build
« Reply #87 on: April 18, 2014, 08:08:23 AM »
While I was finishing the final clean up on the cocking ring Brian whipped out the cocking switch. We decided not to use the square sleeve in the back plate and to make the cocking switch from a round blank as shown in the pictures.

Dennis & Brian\'s Build
« Reply #88 on: April 18, 2014, 08:18:33 AM »
While I got started on the rail supports Brian drew the rear plate and set up the Tormach to cut it. It will take eight cutters to mill, drill and ream the rear plate.

Dennis & Brian\'s Build
« Reply #89 on: April 18, 2014, 08:40:23 AM »
had a delay of game yesterday. I happened on a Tormach 770 on Craiglist 15 miles from Brian\'s house. We rode over to look at it and it is now sitting in my garage waiting to be cleaned and for a new base so it can get moved to the basement. It will take some cleaning as the previous owner was not into that. He even managed to put an ink pen in the spindle and spin it up spraying blue ink all over the front of the mill and the monitor. he must have thought it look nice as he just left it that way. A little elbow grease and denatured alcohol cleaned up the door without damage to the paint. I don\'t know about the monitor yet.

Dennis & Brian\'s Build
« Reply #90 on: April 18, 2014, 09:16:03 AM »
So many \"way to go!\". Way to go on the Tormach 770. Hope you get everything setup the way that you want to. The cocking ring, and cocking switch all look great. What the heck almost everything you two have been doing looks great to me.
Way To Go!!

Can\'t wait to see more.

Later 42rocker

Dennis & Brian\'s Build
« Reply #91 on: April 18, 2014, 06:41:19 PM »
[quote name=\"42rocker\"]So many \"way to go!\". Way to go on the Tormach 770. Hope you get everything setup the way that you want to. The cocking ring, and cocking switch all look great. What the heck almost everything you two have been doing looks great to me.
Way To Go!!

Can\'t wait to see more.

Later 42rocker[/quote]
 Thanks for the nice comments ! They are appreciated !!

Brian

Dennis & Brian\'s Build
« Reply #92 on: April 18, 2014, 09:43:04 PM »
Remember my comments and $5.00 will almost get you a cup of coffee almost anywhere.

Enjoy the build. I\'m enjoying some time behind my lathe working on my bolts.

Later 42rocker

Dennis & Brian\'s Build
« Reply #93 on: April 30, 2014, 06:54:54 PM »
We have taken a sabbatical from gun building to take in the NAMES show, do some cleaning on the Tormach and do other things that some people think are more important. Go figure? This will give me a chance to get caught up on posting as I am behind.

Brian finished the rear plate and used a dowel pin in the bolt extractor hole to verify that the cocking switch lined up with the rear plate and cocking ring plate.

We then mounted the rail supports to the casing. Had to drill and tap the holes. We decided to go with four instead of two. After they were mounted we set it up on 1-2-3 blocks to verify that they were level.

Dennis & Brian\'s Build
« Reply #94 on: April 30, 2014, 08:46:26 PM »
After the side supports were attached and verified we decided to put a bushing in the rear plate for the center shaft and then set up to drill, mill, and ream the hole for the crank shaft through the side supports and casing.

Dennis & Brian\'s Build
« Reply #95 on: April 30, 2014, 08:58:32 PM »
Used an end mill to start and cut the hole in the casing. Then did the other side and reamed it for the shaft. We then started on the gear block.

Dennis & Brian\'s Build
« Reply #96 on: June 07, 2014, 07:19:18 PM »
We have been doing some work on the gun. Brian never really quit so i have a lot more posting to do. The forum has been really quite and i am sure that is because of the warm weather and other things to do this time of year. I made the side rails and after all of the milling and cutting Brian said we needed to square them up. We used ground stock but that doesn\'t mean the edges are square with the sides so the final step was to insure the two mounting surfaces were true. We clamped them together as a pair and milled the front and back all in the same set up. You can see in the third picture how the edge on the outside rail was out of square.

Dennis & Brian\'s Build
« Reply #97 on: June 07, 2014, 07:55:58 PM »
The web site still has a problem. It is difficult to get the posts completed but i will keep trying. Brian made a lot of parts during our down time. He made the complete crank assembly, the bolt extractor and the cocking switch knob.

Dennis & Brian\'s Build
« Reply #98 on: June 10, 2014, 01:18:39 PM »
With the side rails complete we were ready to do an initial test assembly. :D  However we soon discovered we had forgot to mill the slot in the main shaft so it was back to the mill.

Dennis & Brian\'s Build
« Reply #99 on: June 10, 2014, 09:37:50 PM »
The initial assembly was at best a little frustrating but we got very good at doing it after thirty or forty times trying to discover what was happening inside. We were thinking we needed to make the casing out of clear Plexiglas to make it possible to debug this thing.

The first thing we discovered was that our cocking switch worked just fine. We made our cocking switch as a separate piece and milled the slot straight through rather than on the same radius as the cocking ring. We were not sure if the button head screw would bind. It didn’t! :D  Making the cocking switch this way was much easier and eliminated the need for the square bushing. This was a combination of Cutter\'s design with Brian\'s modification

We next found that in the safe position the button head screw on the hammer was hitting the leading edge of the cocking ring. To correct this we just milled a small ramp on the leading edge of the cocking ring that was .015” at the front edge tapered to .000” over a length of approximately .125”.

The gun rotated very smooth with a single bolt in both the safe and fire positions. As we added bolts it became clear that we had way too much firing pin spring pressure. So we decided to put bolt 1 and 6 in the gun and head to the firing range. I just need to prove to Brian that it will shoot so I don\'t have to leave the country.

Since we do not have the magazine or top cover done we fed the rounds by hand. Bolt one fire once and misfired every other time. It was obvious that the firing pin was to short and not hitting far enough into the rim. Bolt six fired 12 rounds without a misfire. All of the rounds ejected without fail including the misfires. Overall we are very pleased with the initial test firing.