Author Topic: Gear Driven Magazine  (Read 11980 times)

Gear Driven Magazine
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2012, 07:31:15 PM »
Cutter,

I\'m about half done with my attempt at building your magazine and have a question for you.  Does the Delrin gear rotate on the shaft or does the Shaft rotate in the brass holes? Probably makes little difference but would like to know which way it was intended to work.

Thanks,

Jeff

Gear Driven Magazine
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2012, 08:06:14 PM »
Hi Jeff,
The gear rotates on the shoulder screw
The shoulder screw should bottom out on the back plate.
Good luck

Gear Driven Magazine
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2012, 09:10:13 PM »
Thanks - I will do it that way. Will post some pictures in a different thread in a few days.

Jeff

Gear Driven Magazine
« Reply #43 on: August 15, 2012, 04:03:08 PM »
Awesome looking artwork you have done there Cutter, thanks for making that :)

It is fun to see pictures of the finished guns and notice that the drawings I have of the RG-G (purchased recently) are kind of \"out-of-date\" in some aspects, like the barrel plate ring that is drawn to have some pins on the outer circumference and slots and whatnot and still I haven\'t yet seen a gun that has those features.

Gear Driven Magazine
« Reply #44 on: August 17, 2012, 01:18:48 PM »
Jatimatic,
The features you are referring to on the barrel plate
were intended for the RG-G drum magazine, however
that did not work very well.
There are errors on the drawings, so be careful and have fun

Thanks
Cutter

Gear Driven Magazine
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2012, 04:49:09 AM »
Gotcha, have to see how eveything turns out :)

Gear Driven Magazine
« Reply #46 on: July 03, 2013, 12:49:48 PM »
What a cool design.  I am curious, since you do rely on gravity feed, and since it is not a straight drop, how fast will this magazine feed?  I know with the stick magazine the bullets tend to hang up, especially when there are only a few left and not that much weight on the stack.  The .22 is such a light round relying on gravity is sometimes troublesome.  I realize there should be sufficient time for the bullet to slide into place to be picked up but just curious how consistent it is when you up the speed a bit.

I have to say, the look of that drum is awesome compared to the stick though.  I wasted a lot of time on the original RG-G accles drum design, as I started with plans that did not have the stick mag.

Gear Driven Magazine
« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2013, 01:35:44 PM »
rayhawk,

You have answered your own question, the speed of gravity.
I was able to build a working model of the original RG-G design accles magazine.
But did not like the peg gear technology from the Michael Angelo period.

I can empty the magazine in 10 to12 seconds, but about 3 minutes to reload it.
That equals about 3.5 seconds per cartridge.

Good luck with your project

Gear Driven Magazine
« Reply #48 on: August 16, 2013, 07:40:17 PM »

With a few modifications I mounted one

on the Modified Bulldog.

Test firing this weekend.

[attachment=9287:IMG_0064-id=1390.JPG]

« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 08:25:24 PM by Dave »

Gear Driven Magazine
« Reply #49 on: August 17, 2013, 08:30:02 AM »
Wow! looks awesome.  Lets see some more pictures!

Gear Driven Magazine
« Reply #50 on: August 30, 2013, 11:48:27 AM »

Here\'s a couple more pictures, but I do need to make

another magazine adapter. There\'s not enough clearance

under the adapter for a misfires to eject.

Empty casings no problem.

[attachment=9288:IMG_0066-id=1418.JPG]

[attachment=9289:IMG_0065-id=1417.JPG]

« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 08:26:17 PM by Dave »

Gear Driven Magazine
« Reply #51 on: October 15, 2013, 08:48:18 PM »
Gearing upgrade, note the center distance

Gear Driven Magazine
« Reply #52 on: October 16, 2013, 02:41:53 PM »
Cutter, are you having feeding issues with the gravity feed on the 10 barrel gun, or was that just on the six shooter? I assumed that\'s why you went to the spring driven mag.

Gear Driven Magazine
« Reply #53 on: October 17, 2013, 10:50:01 AM »
Toolman,
The gravity feed works  ok on all 4 guns, but a little slow.
The spring  mag is faster and much more positive.
About 600 rounds with no failures
There\'s always room for improvement. ( all suggestions welcome )

Thanks for the reply

Gear Driven Magazine
« Reply #54 on: November 13, 2013, 02:29:54 PM »
Well I know what project that going to be worked on after the RGG gatling gun is close to being done.
Thanks for all of your sharing.

Later 42rocker

Offline Dave

• Site Admin
  • Administrator
Gear Driven Magazine
« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2014, 08:23:20 PM »

All of the pics are restored, I will be going back and adding the .dxf files

I will be adding them today, this will also be edited out when I do

« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 01:34:42 PM by Dave »

Offline Bill Akins

Gear Driven Magazine
« Reply #56 on: December 25, 2014, 11:02:08 PM »

Cutter that is amazing and awesome. Well deserved kudos to you. 

In answering another poster\'s question and dilemma concerning poor feeding in a gravity fed stick mag when the rounds get low and the weight of the cartridges is lowered and cartridge \"jump\" can occur due to insufficient weight over the top of the cartridge being fed due to lowered weight of cartridges left over the top of it as cartridge count lowers as gun is fired.

Just install a weight that impinges upon the topmost cartridge, and have a slot that goes full length down the side of the mag so that instead of the full BODY of the weight having to be on top of the topmost cartridge, instead the WEIGHT is all on top of the topmost cartridge for sure, but even though the full weight is always on the topmost cartridge, most of the body of the weight hangs off the side of the stick mag and rides in a full length slot in the mag, so that there is always a sufficient weight on top of even the last cartridge to adequately feed even the last cartridge into the gun. Kind of like an upside down \"L\" shaped body for the weight, so the weight is all on the cartridges in the gravity fed stick mag, but most of the actual body of the weight is off to the side of the mag so that the body of the weight does not take up an inordinate amount of space in the stick mag itself and just the short and thin ledge of the upside down \"L\" weights shape fits over the topmost cartridge. That way the weight does not take up space that can be used for cartridges in the vertical gravity fed stick mag.  In other words the weight is always there on top of the topmost cartridge, but most of the body of the weight is off to the side of the stick mag riding in a full length slot so the weight can move down with the cartridges as they feed and drop lower in the stick mag. Understand what I mean?

Bill.  

« Last Edit: December 25, 2014, 11:07:42 PM by Bill Akins »

Offline Cutter

Gear Driven Magazine
« Reply #57 on: December 26, 2014, 12:19:24 PM »

An excellent post Bill,

I\'ve seen stick magazines with  parallel weights on the sides and back.

Jerry

Offline Bill Akins

Gear Driven Magazine
« Reply #58 on: January 02, 2015, 04:05:31 PM »

I figured an illustration would be helpful. 

To elaborate a bit more and show illustrations, here\'s the link to a site that shows how to build your kid their own wooden toy machine gun. 

This article is obviously from the early 20th century since the toy machine gun appears to resemble the Colt model 1895 \"potato digger\" only

instead of belt fed, it\'s gravity fed. The gravity feed hopper magazine for the toy bullets (wooden dowels) is what is at interest here to illustrate

better what I was talking about regarding a hopper fed magazine with a weight on top of the cartridges, but with a slit down the side of the mag

so that most of the bulk of the weight can fit outside the mag riding down the slot in the mag, while still the full weight is on top of the cartridges.

See how in this illustration there is a slot in the side of the toy gravity fed hopper mag (that\'s made out of a tin can)? Now in this case that slot is

mainly just so you can see how many toy wooden dowels bullets are left, but still. it also shows a weight on top of the toy bullets. What it doesn\'t show,

but you can easily visualize from the illustration, is that weight COULD mostly be on the SIDE of the mag with just a thin arm going over the top of the toy bullets

to keep them weighted down, with the 90 degree angle of that thin arm riding in the mag slot. See what I mean? 

The same principle is the same for a real gun\'s gravity fed hopper type magazine.

\"A-Toy-Machine-Gun-249.jpg\"

And here\'s the link to the entire article just in case anyone wants to build one of these for their kids (or for themselves to play with). It\'s actually very simple to make and pretty cool. 

It\'s same operation could be adapted to almost any style of machine gun to make a toy out of. I could see a Maxim or Browning easily. 

http://chestofbooks.com/home-improvement/woodworking/Carpentry-and-Mechanics-For-Boys/Chapter-XVII-A-Toy-Machine-Gun.html#.VKcGeDHF8nv\'>http://chestofbooks.com/home-improvement/woodworking/Carpentry-and-Mechanics-For-Boys/Chapter-XVII-A-Toy-Machine-Gun.html#.VKcGeDHF8nv

Offline 42rocker

Gear Driven Magazine
« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2015, 09:21:27 PM »

Cutter and Dave

Many Thanks for restoring the pics to this thread.

Cutter

Again Many Thanks for sharing this Great Work with us.

I have made a \"Word\" file with most of the thread. If this is a problem then \"mods\" please remove.

Later 42rocker

[attachment=9910:Gear Driven Magazine Started by Cutter.docx]

« Last Edit: January 19, 2015, 09:25:45 AM by Dave »