Author Topic: Solve  (Read 7840 times)

Offline Cutter

Solve
« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2019, 10:59:01 AM »

By rotating the purple line 50° you will be subtracting 50°

from 130° leaving 80 ° for the second angle.

Offline Sparky_NY

Solve
« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2019, 02:07:02 PM »

What allows you to rotate the purple line 50 deg?     Why not 40, 55, or any random number.      What geometric rule allows you to rotate it 50 degrees?

The angle labeled 50 degrees does not bear any relationship to the angle you make by rotating the line 50 deg that I I can see.

PS   I did subtract the 50 deg from the 130 when I did it BUT later looking at it again decided that was not valid.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 02:10:23 PM by Sparky_NY »

Offline Cutter

Solve
« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2019, 07:26:16 PM »

What allows you to rotate the purple line 50 deg?     Why not 40, 55, or any random number.      What geometric rule allows you to rotate it 50 degrees?

The angle labeled 50 degrees does not bear any relationship to the angle you make by rotating the line 50 deg that I I can see.

PS   I did subtract the 50 deg from the 130 when I did it BUT later looking at it again decided that was not valid.

Do you agree the 50° has already been established as one angle of that triangle ?

If you agree, why think of a random number ?  If not, what\'s your solution.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 07:36:12 PM by Cutter »

Offline Sparky_NY

Solve
« Reply #43 on: February 23, 2019, 09:18:17 PM »

Do you agree the 50° has already been established as one angle of that triangle ?

If you agree, why think of a random number ?  If not, what\'s your solution.

3 different triangles all meet at point F.     ONE of them has a established 50 deg angle. (and its not the triangle with \"X\" that we are looking for)       I\'m not sure which triangle your are referring to by \"that\" triangle.

I do not follow your explanation at all.

As I said, my solution was to subtract the 50deg from the 130 deg,  thats how I came up with 30 degrees for a previous answer based on 180deg total for all angles in the triangle.   However, when looking later, I could not see why I felt it was a valid operation at the earlier time.      I still don\'t see any geometric rule that allows that.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 09:24:31 PM by Sparky_NY »

Offline Stirlingking

Solve
« Reply #44 on: February 23, 2019, 10:47:25 PM »

3 different triangles all meet at point F.     ONE of them has a established 50 deg angle. (and its not the triangle with \"X\" that we are looking for)       I\'m not sure which triangle your are referring to by \"that\" triangle.

As I said, my solution was to subtract the 50deg from the 130 deg,  thats how I came up with 30 degrees for a previous answer based on 180deg total for all angles in the triangle.   However, when looking later, I could not see why I felt it was a valid operation at the earlier time.      I still don\'t see any geometric rule that allows that.

I concur.  Rotating line segment AB 50° Clock Wise to make it fall on side EF (co-linear?) 

would require assuming angle AFE (vertex at F) was 50°, leaving me with no valid solution. 

Given triangle ABE was a 20° 20° 140° Isosceles triangle, ie having 2 equal sides, 

assigned length values to the equal sides and solved for lengths of the legs of the triangles 

to finally arrive at the last step.  Since the little triangles were scalene and not right triangles, 

I had to do the a2 + b+ 2 AB etc for each triangle which is why my brain is fried.  

My answer being 29° 55\' and not 30° is probably due to rounding errors. The slide rule I used 

in basic electronics would have nailed it. 

I am anxiously waiting for more learning opportunities from the Forum.  

Stirlingking    

« Last Edit: February 23, 2019, 11:01:14 PM by Stirlingking »

Offline Sparky_NY

Solve
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2019, 07:08:36 AM »

This morning I notice something.....    along with the purple line,  there is also a purple arrow on the drawing.       Rotating the line pointed to by the purple arrow 50 degrees WOULD be valid because that angle is defined.

Although Jerry\'s post said \"rotating the purple line\",     perhaps he meant the purple arrow?        I am guessing the purple arrow was put there for some reason.

Offline Cutter

Solve
« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2019, 10:25:07 AM »

I concur.  Rotating line segment AB 50° Clock Wise to make it fall on side EF (co-linear?) 

would require assuming angle AFE (vertex at F) was 50°, leaving me with no valid solution. 

Given triangle ABE was a 20° 20° 140° Isosceles triangle, ie having 2 equal sides, 

assigned length values to the equal sides and solved for lengths of the legs of the triangles 

to finally arrive at the last step.  Since the little triangles were scalene and not right triangles, 

I had to do the a2 + b+ 2 AB etc for each triangle which is why my brain is fried.  

My answer being 29° 55\' and not 30° is probably due to rounding errors. The slide rule I used 

in basic electronics would have nailed it. 

I am anxiously waiting for more learning opportunities from the Forum.  

Stirlingking    

Stirlingking,

This problem doesn’t require any trigonometry formulas.

Simple math with round numbers , finding three numbers equaling 180°

« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 10:57:50 AM by Cutter »

Offline Cutter

Solve
« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2019, 10:33:04 AM »

The corner of \"that\" triangle with 50 in the circle

The geometric rule is a straight line equals 180°

« Last Edit: February 24, 2019, 12:11:39 PM by Cutter »

Offline Sparky_NY

Solve
« Reply #48 on: February 24, 2019, 12:27:08 PM »

Still many unanswered questions.....    purple line, purple arrow,  exactly which line is proposed to be rotated...  etc etc

I am going back into watch mode.

Offline Cutter

Solve
« Reply #49 on: February 24, 2019, 01:38:56 PM »
Maybe this will bring a Bingo moment .

Offline bruski

Solve
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2019, 05:40:22 PM »

What language are you guys speaking?

bruski

Offline Stirlingking

Solve
« Reply #51 on: February 24, 2019, 11:10:35 PM »
I stared at the triangle for hours, drew triangles and quadrilaterals (4 angles add up to 360°) 

for more hours, always getting stuck at the angles at \"F\". 

I couldn\'t come up with any theorem, axiom, postulates or corollaries that would give 

angle AFE the value of 50°, the same as angle BFC which would have made side BFA 

colinear with FE when rotated 50° clockwise, allowing \"x\" to be solved.   

Without a theorem for authority, rotating side BFA 50° clockwise and be colinear with 

FE would be \"over determining\", in which one condition can be met, but not both, in this 

case unless angle AFE was determined to be 50° beforehand.  

(If it turned out angle AFE was actually 49° or 51°, forcing the two lines to be the same, 

would be \"over determining\" and the answer incorrect, but in this case it wasn\'t.

Unable to find the angles at point \"F\" by the method given, I did a workaround to find the 

elusive angles.  If nothing else, I verified \"X\" to be 30°.  

After having said my piece, and then some, I might lay low and get something done in my shop. 

Stirlingking 

Offline Cutter

Solve
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2019, 11:07:29 AM »

What language are you guys speaking?

bruski

Junior high math,1953

I can’t speak for Stirlingking ☺☺

« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 11:17:55 AM by Cutter »

Offline Sparky_NY

Solve
« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2019, 12:31:56 PM »

Junior high math,1953

Stirlingking\'s responses are the sort of detail we were required to give in order to pass Geometry.     We had to cite the specific axiom, theorem etc. that validated each operation as legal.  

I completely concur with Stirlingking\'s post.       I think a communications gap is what is leading to much of the confusion here, some of it has been rather cryptic.

I took and passed Geometry first in 1966 and later in college , its still very fresh in my memory.  

« Last Edit: February 25, 2019, 12:35:04 PM by Sparky_NY »

Offline bruski

Solve
« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2019, 04:54:03 PM »

Isn\'t Geometry the study of rocks? I\'m kidding, I meant rock formations.

bruski

Offline Cutter

Solve
« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2019, 07:00:04 PM »
You’ve got got this Mr.B

Offline Stirlingking

Solve
« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2019, 08:54:33 PM »

Junior high math,1953

Here I go submitting another long rambling post. 

I took geometry in the 10th and 11th grade, the same class twice, probably getting a C. 

Out of Voc Tech school I worked at several hole-in-the-wall shops in which it was possible 

the boss couldn\'t make payroll on payday.  I made it a point to be proficient at shop math, 

and put out good work so it wasn\'t my doing for money not coming in. Then I went to Bo**ng 

where I took all the off hour classes could , but eschew have little use for academia.  

No offence to those out there with degree or two. 

OK, I\'m a control freak. I can\'t help it, I was born that way.

...(cymbal crash)... 

...(silence)...  

Darn, no one ever gets it! 

Stirlingking 

Offline bruski

Solve
« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2019, 12:34:34 AM »

You’ve got got this Mr.B

Is that a petrified math equation from the Mesozoic era time period?

bruski

Offline Cutter

Solve
« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2019, 11:15:57 AM »
I’ve hit rock bottom on this thread, so

I’ll try for more progress with the GG

Offline 4171

Solve
« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2019, 12:39:49 PM »
Lol Cutter. I know I’m confused 😐

Mike