Author Topic: Jeep project  (Read 1082 times)

Offline bruski

Jeep project
« on: August 09, 2018, 02:01:54 PM »

I have been working on a CJ3B Jeep restoration with an engine swap during the cooler months. Stripped it down to the frame and sand blasted everything rebuilding everything in the process. Lockers in the front and rear differentials, disc brakes on all fours and built a full roll cage with bucket seats.

The engine that I built for this is a 1967 327 small block Chevy with later model Vortex heads that breath better than the double hump fuelie heads do right out of the box. Nice sounding cam with roller rockers, electronic ignition and a Edlebrock manifold and carb. The 2 1/2\" exhaust pipes mate up with 2 stage Flowmaster mufflers and sound great.

bruski 

Offline Stirlingking

Jeep project
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2018, 05:10:26 PM »

Hello Bruski, nice shop, nice project.  The perfectionist part of me would do a frame up as you are, but my available time tends to make me do superficial work, then do it again with the time I didn\'t have in the first place.

Questions and comment: are Vortex pistons needed to go with the heads to duplicate the Vortex effect?  Will the Edlelbrock manifold work with the heads to retain the Vortex effect?  I helped a friend do a similar swap and he likes the results.

My understanding of double bump heads is that they breathe better than Vortex at high RPMs only. I read a test of a Vortex and race engine put in identical race cars. On the track the Vortex was right on the bumper of the race engine car, and had better fuel mileage to boot.

I hope to be making posts soon, myself.

I am in Golden Valley. Do you care to disclose your city?

Regards. - Ted

Offline bruski

Jeep project
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2018, 12:10:13 AM »

Stirlingking,

The intake is a dual plane type that is designed for the Vortex heads that I am using and the pistons are .030 forged flat tops to get by with regular gasoline if possible. These heads use the self aligning type of narrow rockers which are great along with some longer pushrods to get the geometry right. I had to cut the valve guides shorter for the cam that I am using and for the umbrella type of seals.

My city is Yuma which is right next to Ca. and Mexico to the south. The Imperial sand dunes are about 15 miles from here. That place turns into a city around Thanksgiving up until New Years with every kind of fast and slow machines that people can dream up.

bruski 

Offline Stirlingking

Jeep project
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2018, 11:42:54 PM »

Hello Bruski, a couple years ago my wife and I and a friend hauled his small car trailer from Golden Valley, through Yuma, and east to Tacna to buy a \'65 Ford Falcon 2 door station wagon.  It must have been a bank repo, and sat on the property for decades (low miles).  My wife didn\'t like the deteriorated interior, and despite my pleading like a Dutch Uncle and promising whatever I had left to bargain away, my wife absolutely refused to let me buy it. We drove back home empty trailered. There was a cute Rambler on the lot, but it was too wide to fit between the rails of this trailer.

So, no Falcon wagon. I will get back to work on my \'31 Ford rumble seat roadster with a 410 Mercury engine.  My Meyers Manx autocrosser project will get moved into another building, leaving me undistracted to work on the \'31. Other than the 2 RG-G projects, of course. I might have an image of my \'31 someplace.

Maybe parts of this would be good in the Fess Up thread.

Regards. - Ted

« Last Edit: August 11, 2018, 11:46:34 PM by Stirlingking »