Author Topic: Tired of RGGs, Ready to do a D&E  (Read 1569 times)

Offline gatguy

Tired of RGGs, Ready to do a D&E
« on: April 24, 2021, 02:27:29 PM »
After making 6 RGGs, I want to do a D&E now, my lathe, mills, grinder, etc. are lonesome for a project! I would like to have the do's and don'ts from you guys who have struggled thru your builds.
All replys thanks in advance.
dicksknives@aol.com  (gatguy)

Dick C. (gatguy)

Offline Dave

• Site Admin
  • Administrator
Re: Tired of RGGs, Ready to do a D&E
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2021, 04:52:14 PM »
I think Sparky knows these things inside and out....

Offline Sparky_NY

D&E
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2021, 05:02:33 PM »
Although the D&E gun is a much more scale replica, it is loaded with engineering problems.   Very few people have gotten one to fire reliably.   Even the D&E website shows pics of a gun with bolts that are NOT made to the prints.    Also, be aware the D&E gun uses 22 shorts which are much harder to find and more expensive.

I completed a D&E build to about the 75% stage when I found out about all the design problems and non functioning.    I ended up using the RGG internals design, scaled down with changes to the bolts and putting that into the D&E housing for a functioning gun.

As a result of my experience and a LOT of research,  I would suggest building the RGG gun and copy the external cosmetic details from the D&E design, best of both worlds.

Offline JoeCB

Re: Tired of RGGs, Ready to do a D&E
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2021, 11:13:17 PM »
It's been several years since I did my build. I wanted a functional gun that was as close to historic scale as practical. I bought both sets of plans and closely studied both. In addition a had a good set of photos of a real 1874 GG. From all this info I ended up building a half scale 1874 gun, internals based on RGG and the externals based on D&E and the photos of a real gun. It was apparent from studying the D&E design that it was not as robust as the RGG.

Joe B