Author Topic: D&E rebuild / hybrid  (Read 6292 times)

Offline Sparky_NY

D&E rebuild / hybrid
« Reply #20 on: July 09, 2017, 05:56:42 PM »

The forum wouldn\'t let me upload a mp4 video from my phone so I uploaded it to youtube.

Offline Sparky_NY

D&E rebuild / hybrid
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2018, 11:59:17 AM »

I took a break from the Gat project since July and returned to it about a week or so ago.    The cocking mechanism is completed and installed.   I assembled one bolt (all bolt  parts are made) and tested it.   It cocked and fired a blank.    I am now assembling the remaining bolts and shaping the firing pins,  two more to do.    I tested all the assembled bolts and they function as intended.

Today I fired a 3 round burst (blanks),  its so quick it sounded almost like a single shot.    I can\'t fire normally yet, I have not made a top cover or mag at this point, but soon !   I am going to give a whirl at 3d printing a top cover and mag for test purposes, that should be interesting.    I got the 3d printer last year, assembled it and tested it quick but have not done anything with it yet.   

I have a few things to tidy up,  gotta make the bolt insertion knob and knob for the cocking switch.   Right now I just have a setscrew shaft collar on the cocking switch, no spring but it works just fine that way.

More to come...........              ( PS   I got a whole coffee can of blanks at a local flea market for $5.00 this summer,  perfect for tests)

George

« Last Edit: January 03, 2018, 12:02:22 PM by Sparky_NY »

Offline Sparky_NY

D&E rebuild / hybrid
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2018, 10:53:44 PM »

Been fine tuning.   I had a few rounds fail to extract so I did a slight redesign on the extractors and made 16 new ones today, much better.     Also, I wasn\'t thrilled with the cam timing and stroke so I made new ones that have less stroke and start the cartridge into the chamber sooner,  feeds much better.       I did 3d print a prototype cover and have it feeding from the stick mag.   I also increased the firing pin spring tension, the indentation was marginal in the rims with a few fire failures, now they are much better.

While waiting for the cnc mill to cut the new extractors I got surfing and thinking about building the next gat gun.    I took the plunge and ordered the barrels today, 6 of them, .410 shotgun.  They are intended for a old mossberg bolt action gun so they are threaded and have no stock attachment blocks or anything attached to the barrel.    Being a bolt action it used a extractor nearly identical to the RGG gun on the bolt.     I won\'t start that project for a while though..... gotta finish up this one first and take a break.    The .410 was picked because ammo isn\'t crazy expensive and there is the choice of slugs, buckshot, or birdshot,  I reload handgun ammo now so setting up to reload the .410 wouldn\'t be a big deal if desired.

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/mossberg/shotguns-mossberg/183t\'>https://www.gunpartscorp.com/gun-manufacturer/mossberg/shotguns-mossberg/183t

Offline Sparky_NY

D&E rebuild / hybrid
« Reply #23 on: February 18, 2018, 07:42:15 PM »

Update:      Now have about 300 rounds of live ammo thru the gun and it is functioning flawlessly.     35 rounds takes about 3 seconds and is a real riot.  I had a scrap of 6x6 post left over from building my pole barn that I used as a bullet stop, well it split in half from the trauma,  there is about a inch dia ball of lead in the middle where a bunch of bullets went in the same hole.   I made up the final top cover in brass, along with its latch.     Remaining now is some cosmetic parts, the oscillator assy, elevation wheel, sights, knobs for the rear cover and a few other small items.     Functionally its 100% as is.    I will make a video when I get the cosmetics done.

Meanwhile,  I am gathering materials for the .410 build.    Got a piece of 4\"ID brass with 3/16 wall, 15 inches long which should work great for a housing.    Have the 6 mossberg barrels in hand.

« Last Edit: February 18, 2018, 07:45:00 PM by Sparky_NY »

Offline Timcor123

D&E rebuild / hybrid
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2018, 08:07:47 PM »
Great news Sparky.  Your theoretical rate of fire is about what I achieved: 700-800 rounds/minute.  I used the voice memo app on my phone to measure a 25 round burst.  You are right, it\'s a real riot!

I got the carriage wheels done for my gun.  Still need to turn the hubs and fab the stainless tires.  Hubs may have to wait until brass prices come down.  I may just turn them in 7075 alum and anodize black.   Had to build a slip roll for the tires first and that turned out nice.  Also, finally bought a Tig welder.  I settled on the Everlast 200dv. So far not disappointed.  Lots to learn about Tig but having fun.  It\'s a good thing I don\'t have to make a living with this thing!

Anyway, congrats on your gun!

Tim

Offline bruski

D&E rebuild / hybrid
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2018, 09:04:00 PM »

Great job Sparky. What controller software are you running on your cnc Bridgeport mill?

bruski

Offline Sparky_NY

D&E rebuild / hybrid
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2018, 07:25:50 AM »

Great job Sparky. What controller software are you running on your cnc Bridgeport mill?

bruski

Running linuxcnc and love it.     Several years back I used Mach3 on other machines but once I made the switch I never regretted it.

Offline bruski

D&E rebuild / hybrid
« Reply #27 on: April 29, 2018, 09:57:17 PM »

sparky,

Is the linuxcnc something that I could install into my Bridgeport mill? It has V2XT I think but the manual that came with the used machine is for Boss 10. Any way I can\'t seem to find the right post processor to run with it and have to make a lot of changes to the G codes for them to work.

Thanks,

Bruski

Offline Sparky_NY

D&E rebuild / hybrid
« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2018, 08:09:47 AM »

sparky,

Is the linuxcnc something that I could install into my Bridgeport mill? It has V2XT I think but the manual that came with the used machine is for Boss 10. Any way I can\'t seem to find the right post processor to run with it and have to make a lot of changes to the G codes for them to work.

Thanks,

Bruski

No doubt.    I had a BP V2E3 that I retrofitted several years back.    It takes a reasonable knowledge of electronics to do all the wiring or a helper that does.    That stuff comes easy to me because of my background.     Linuxcnc now has cad/cam conversational as a option right on screen on the mill,  I have been using it and love it, a LOT of operations do not require external cad/cam at all now.   When needed, 3d stuff for example, I have been using fusion 360 and love that, easy to learn and extremely powerful.  

Offline Larryx

D&E rebuild / hybrid
« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2018, 09:45:19 PM »
I am a new member and one who has had the D&E plans for about a year. I am getting close to start making chips but I have also been studying the numerous messages regarding changes that are really necessary and some that are just desirable. it looks as through the collective efforts, talents, etc of this forum membership  a new (hybrid) design has or is emerging.. Obviously I would like to start on the path which leads most directly to success, so I would like to build to the best design instead of building as Doug showed but was not quite there. Would one of you experienced  and knowledgable (or all of you experienced and knowledgable guys) be willing to help a somewhat newbie but very quick learner start on the apparent most successful path?  shouldI invest in a set or Rg&g plans so I can integrate the desired design features?

Offline bruski

D&E rebuild / hybrid
« Reply #30 on: August 03, 2018, 11:09:25 PM »

Welcome to this site. I think that sparky would be the guy to ask questions about the D & E gatling gun. He has made all necessary modifications to the plans basically converting some parts over to the RG-G components only smaller to fit the D & E frame.

If you are open to my advice, you should look into the RG-G plan package which produces a working gun in the end with only a couple of errors in the plans that are shown in a thread RG-G known errors.

Bruski

Offline Sparky_NY

D&E rebuild / hybrid
« Reply #31 on: August 04, 2018, 06:21:49 AM »

Welcome to this site. I think that sparky would be the guy to ask questions about the D & E gatling gun. He has made all necessary modifications to the plans basically converting some parts over to the RG-G components only smaller to fit the D & E frame.

If you are open to my advice, you should look into the RG-G plan package which produces a working gun in the end with only a couple of errors in the plans that are shown in a thread RG-G known errors.

Bruski

I think Bruski has the best idea.    A lot of headaches to be saved by just building the RGG gun by their plans.    I had the DE gun about 80% completed when all the problems came to my attention.  Not wanting to just scrap it and build another, I  went the route of a redesign.    It would have been far better to just build the RGG gun in the first place.    The RGG gun is a little larger, being 1/2 scale compared to the DE guns 1/3 scale,  that makes a BIG difference in the size of the parts and the difficulty.

The only advantage I can see of the DE gun, which is why I bought those plans in the first place, is that it is a true scale copy of a 1874 gun.   The RGG isn\'t a true scale model.   There is no reason the external cosmetics of the DE gun couldn\'t easily be applied to the RGG gun though if desired.

Again, I highly recommend building to the RGG plans,  not the D&E, even with modifications.

Welcome to the forum !      

« Last Edit: August 04, 2018, 06:23:20 AM by Sparky_NY »