Author Topic: Firing Pin Shape  (Read 1948 times)

Firing Pin Shape
« on: April 04, 2012, 12:40:46 PM »
Roller,
I am posting my reply to your email here.

I thought about relieving the tip of the firing pin.  I was going to use a counter sink.  I did not try this.  I went on the non rotating 4 mm square shaft as I wanted to shape the pin as a wedge as suggested by many others.

I now use my tool and cutter grinder to shape the pins.  Five degrees on the end and ten degrees on the sides.  A rake of two and a half degrees on the sides, top to bottom.  I used Roller\'s .025 measurement at the top of the pin.  All the pins are now uniform.  This seems to work well in my tests.

I also found that the pin location was questionable.  So was my skill at indicating a dividing head.  I had found that the pins did not hit at the same place.  I thought it was due to the called out measurement, the dividing head set up, and the bolt carrier.

I found that by following the instructions and machining the bolt holes by drilling they will never come out in the correct place.  I changed my machining procedure and used a long end mill to bore the holes after drilling, then ream.  I am thinking about a set up to use a boring bar or a gun drill to make these holes.

I am thinking about making the shaft one piece and making the carrier two pieces to see if this will help with the alignment.