Author Topic: D&E ready for action  (Read 3847 times)

D&E ready for action
« on: February 15, 2012, 08:33:57 PM »

Barrels and housing blued and reassembled. Gun is online and ready for action!

Frank

[attachment=9136:IMG_0521 (Large)-id=803.JPG]

[attachment=9137:IMG_0522 (Large)-id=802.JPG]

« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 02:52:31 PM by Dave »

Offline Dave

• Site Admin
  • Administrator
D&E ready for action
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 08:30:12 AM »
Looks good, is it ready to fire?

A side note, I re-sized your pics...

D&E ready for action
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 09:15:36 AM »
[quote name=\"Dave\"]Looks good, is it ready to fire?

A side note, I re-sized your pics...[/quote]
Yes it is ready to fire.  I will attempt to get a video of it in action.  Thanks again Dave for the resizing.  I tried the software that you suggested but got an \"there are issues with this software\" warning when I tried to install.

Frank

D&E ready for action
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 10:01:57 AM »
That looks great. Well done!

Now hurry up and fire it!

Offline Dave

• Site Admin
  • Administrator
D&E ready for action
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 11:43:58 AM »
[quote name=\"Roller\"]
[quote name=\"Dave\"]Looks good, is it ready to fire?

A side note, I re-sized your pics...[/quote]
Yes it is ready to fire.  I will attempt to get a video of it in action.  Thanks again Dave for the resizing.  I tried the software that you suggested but got an \"there are issues with this software\" warning when I tried to install.

Frank[/quote]

Im going to put a image re-sizer on this site, when I find time...

D&E ready for action
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2012, 06:45:16 PM »
Congratulations Roller a beautiful piece

D&E ready for action
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2012, 07:30:04 PM »
Thank you all for your comments.  I am surprised that no one commented on the housing not being brass, and why the yoke is not brass.

Frank

Offline Dave

• Site Admin
  • Administrator
D&E ready for action
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2012, 08:07:24 PM »
Lol, cause its too damn expensive these days!

D&E ready for action
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 08:37:53 AM »
Well that is part of the reason.  I wanted to make the housing in one piece with no welding or soldering so I made it out of a solid bar of 8620.  It is quite strong and there no problems with cranking pressure on the bosses.  My neighbor gave me a chunk of 316 stainless for the yoke.

Frank

D&E ready for action
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 11:01:36 AM »
Roller,
I seem to be several steps behind you.  I noticed your one piece housing in your first picture.  But what I really noticed was the hex head cap screws holding it to the frame.  Glad to see the stainless steel screws.  I had trouble with heat distortion when I made my first housings.  I am going to make my new housings of one piece steel.  Center less if I can find it.  I was planing on making the yoke of steel also.  Because of the constant high humidity here in Keatchie LA I have been think about using more steel and less brass and bluing or blackening the steel.  One piece solves Sparky\'s concern about the weak bosses.  One piece will also help with hole layout for the crank handle.  I am going to increase the diameter a little as I had difficulty with the threads showing through.

In the past I had two backhoes.  The hydraulic shop I dealt with still lets me rummage through their rubbish can.  I can have anything I find.  The chrome bars are usually 1045 steel under the chrome.  I have found some good pieces.  I just turn off the chrome with carbide tipped tools.  Some times I leave the chrome on if the size is not critical.

D&E ready for action
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 12:28:25 PM »
Roller, Great job on your gun, it looks great. I would have posted sooner, but I have been on Jury Duty all week long. :|  Did you do the blueing yourself?
bruski

D&E ready for action
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2012, 01:59:32 PM »
Bruski,

Yes I did the bluing myself.  It is a cold blue, Brownell\'s Oxpho 7, for a cold blue it came out pretty well.  Hardest part was polishing the parts.  I still have some small scrathches but the bright work catches your eye first and draws more attention than the blued parts.  The yoke shines like a mirror, the photo doesn\'t do it justice.

Frank

D&E ready for action
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2012, 02:30:45 PM »
Hi Roller, we are waiting to hear or see how your gatling test fire went.
bruski

D&E ready for action
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2012, 07:32:06 AM »
Hi Bruski,

Just waiting for the rifle range to dry up and the weather to warm up.  Working on a Broadwell drum for the gun right now.

Frank

D&E ready for action
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2012, 04:15:29 PM »
Roller, for some reason I think that everybody has Arizona weather with rain 2 or 3 times a year.
bruski

D&E ready for action
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2012, 06:10:06 PM »
You guys need an indoor  bullet trap.  I made mine of 3/8 steel plate and a 12 inch length of 6  inch dia pipe.   I shall paint it and take a few pictures.  Works great.  Google bullet traps.
Type in \'bullet traps my wife and I\' and you should go to the trap I copied.  It says \'just finished/tested my prototype indoor bullet trap\'.

D&E ready for action
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2012, 08:04:05 PM »
OK, Thanks.
bruski