• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 barrelguy

barrelguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 07:48 PM

I feel that my gun requires too much cranking torque cocking the bolts on the cocking ramp.  As best I can measure, about 30 in. lbs. 

Is this about right or are my firing pin springs too stiff?  I got those a couple of years ago from Paul.  I am about ready to try different springs.

What is everyone using now?  What supplier and spring number?

#2 Sparky_NY

Sparky_NY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • LocationAnderson, SC

Posted 18 February 2019 - 10:00 PM

these are the ones I used in both the 22 and 357 gatlings.       I got them from grainger,  they have 3 different wire diameters in this size, the ones I used are the least powerful, 13.5 lb/in

https://www.grainger...archQuery=1NCD6

Others here used different springs from various vendors but when I checked they had about a $60 minimum order, not counting shipping !    OUCH

#3 Stirlingking

Stirlingking

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 25 posts
  • LocationGolden Valley, AZ

Posted 18 February 2019 - 10:11 PM

these are the ones I used in both the 22 and 357 gatlings.       I got them from grainger,  they have 3 different wire diameters in this size, the ones I used are the least powerful, 13.5 lb/in

Others here used different springs from various vendors but when I checked they had about a $60 minimum order, not counting shipping !    OUCH

I don't know if this can help people looking for springs, but I have a small hand cranked spring winder and an assortment of spring wire sizes.  I am going to wind all my springs, all 20+ of them. 

If we can collectively figure out how to help the forum members with springs and stuff, I work cheaply. 

Stirlingking 

#4 Cutter

Cutter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1057 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 10:42 PM

Sparky or barrelguy
Give me the spring spec. you think will work
I think I can get it sampled out

• bruski likes this

#5 barrelguy

barrelguy

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 11:25 PM

Sparky, thanks for the lead on these springs.  The price is sure right.  I'll try them

#6 Roller

Roller

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 140 posts

Posted 18 February 2019 - 11:47 PM

You could also try MSC Industrial Supply, that's where I got my springs.

Frank

• bruski likes this

#7 Sparky_NY

Sparky_NY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 391 posts
  • LocationAnderson, SC

Posted 19 February 2019 - 01:35 AM

Sparky or barrelguy
Give me the spring spec. you think will work
I think I can get it sampled out

The graingers link I posted has all the specs.       I used the one posted, .038 wire,  there is also .042 and .045 which have much higher ratings.

My primer strikes look good, maybe a touch on the light side BUT they detonate just fine.      That being said....  spring selection is going to vary by individual firing pin design,  the weight of the pin has a effect as does its travel along with the spring.    Preload on the spring makes a BIG difference too.     (this is more for others than Cutter, he has experimented with springs in depth before)

Google searching the other day,  I found info that said 20-23 lbs spring rate for center fires was common.    My pins are .062 dia,   commercial rifles are either .062 or .078 dia from what I seen.   (guys dont seem to like the .078, many reworked to .062)

Another triva point.....  clearance of the pin tip to its hole....   .002 to .006 is the common range that seems to present no problems.   (this is on rifle cartridges that have MUCH higher pressure than the 357 so its quite safe for the 357)

• bruski and Cutter like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users