#1 Sparky_NY

Sparky_NY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationAnderson, SC

Posted 09 December 2018 - 05:42 PM

I am at the point on the 357 that I need to get a crank made and gears mounted.

I would be very interested to see various options for mounting the smaller worm gear on the crankshaft and for support blocks.  I made the gears and the small one has no keyway broached yet.    Snap rings, collars, etc.  there seems to be a lot of choices.     I wonder also if a thrust bearing is worth doing.     Again, this is from the small gear on the crankshaft,  the larger gear I have all sorted out.   Ease of disassembly is desired too.

I had not planned on the shaft extending out the opposite side of the housing from the crank but that could change if needed.

• bruski likes this

#2 Cutter

Cutter

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1097 posts

Posted 15 December 2018 - 01:05 AM

I am at the point on the 357 that I need to get a crank made and gears mounted.

I would be very interested to see various options for mounting the smaller worm gear on the crankshaft and for support blocks.  I made the gears and the small one has no keyway broached yet.    Snap rings, collars, etc.  there seems to be a lot of choices.     I wonder also if a thrust bearing is worth doing.     Again, this is from the small gear on the crankshaft,  the larger gear I have all sorted out.   Ease of disassembly is desired too.

I had not planned on the shaft extending out the opposite side of the housing from the crank but that could change if needed.

This is what I’m using.
Two pins & two collars with a .03 counter bore
just to keep the pins in place

Attached Files

• bruski likes this

#3 Sparky_NY

Sparky_NY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • LocationAnderson, SC

Posted 15 December 2018 - 11:41 AM

Finished up mine yesterday.   LOL

Used a support block similar to the RGG for the crankshaft but a lot more "meat" to it.    Maybe being paranoid but I figure that block backs up the recoil plate and distributes the recoil over a larger area.   used a couple needle thrust bearings each side of the drive gear.  Also a thrust bearing between the driven gear and the recoil plate.  

Will post pic later.

• bruski and Cutter like this

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users