Jump to content


Photo

D&E rebuild / hybrid


  • Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 Sparky_NY

Sparky_NY

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationAnderson, SC

Posted 09 July 2017 - 09:56 PM

The forum wouldn't let me upload a mp4 video from my phone so I uploaded it to youtube.

 

 


  • Roller likes this

#22 Sparky_NY

Sparky_NY

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationAnderson, SC

Posted 09 July 2017 - 10:03 PM

Duplicate post, deleted

#23 Sparky_NY

Sparky_NY

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationAnderson, SC

Posted 03 January 2018 - 04:59 PM

I took a break from the Gat project since July and returned to it about a week or so ago.    The cocking mechanism is completed and installed.   I assembled one bolt (all bolt  parts are made) and tested it.   It cocked and fired a blank.    I am now assembling the remaining bolts and shaping the firing pins,  two more to do.    I tested all the assembled bolts and they function as intended.

 

Today I fired a 3 round burst (blanks),  its so quick it sounded almost like a single shot.    I can't fire normally yet, I have not made a top cover or mag at this point, but soon !   I am going to give a whirl at 3d printing a top cover and mag for test purposes, that should be interesting.    I got the 3d printer last year, assembled it and tested it quick but have not done anything with it yet.   

 

I have a few things to tidy up,  gotta make the bolt insertion knob and knob for the cocking switch.   Right now I just have a setscrew shaft collar on the cocking switch, no spring but it works just fine that way.

 

More to come...........              ( PS   I got a whole coffee can of blanks at a local flea market for $5.00 this summer,  perfect for tests)

 

George


  • Roller and Cutter like this

#24 Sparky_NY

Sparky_NY

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationAnderson, SC

Posted 24 January 2018 - 03:53 AM

Been fine tuning.   I had a few rounds fail to extract so I did a slight redesign on the extractors and made 16 new ones today, much better.     Also, I wasn't thrilled with the cam timing and stroke so I made new ones that have less stroke and start the cartridge into the chamber sooner,  feeds much better.       I did 3d print a prototype cover and have it feeding from the stick mag.   I also increased the firing pin spring tension, the indentation was marginal in the rims with a few fire failures, now they are much better.

 

While waiting for the cnc mill to cut the new extractors I got surfing and thinking about building the next gat gun.    I took the plunge and ordered the barrels today, 6 of them, .410 shotgun.  They are intended for a old mossberg bolt action gun so they are threaded and have no stock attachment blocks or anything attached to the barrel.    Being a bolt action it used a extractor nearly identical to the RGG gun on the bolt.     I won't start that project for a while though..... gotta finish up this one first and take a break.    The .410 was picked because ammo isn't crazy expensive and there is the choice of slugs, buckshot, or birdshot,  I reload handgun ammo now so setting up to reload the .410 wouldn't be a big deal if desired.

 

https://www.gunparts...s-mossberg/183t


  • Cutter likes this

#25 Sparky_NY

Sparky_NY

    Advanced Member

  • Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 163 posts
  • LocationAnderson, SC

Posted 19 February 2018 - 12:42 AM

Update:      Now have about 300 rounds of live ammo thru the gun and it is functioning flawlessly.     35 rounds takes about 3 seconds and is a real riot.  I had a scrap of 6x6 post left over from building my pole barn that I used as a bullet stop, well it split in half from the trauma,  there is about a inch dia ball of lead in the middle where a bunch of bullets went in the same hole.   I made up the final top cover in brass, along with its latch.     Remaining now is some cosmetic parts, the oscillator assy, elevation wheel, sights, knobs for the rear cover and a few other small items.     Functionally its 100% as is.    I will make a video when I get the cosmetics done.

 

Meanwhile,  I am gathering materials for the .410 build.    Got a piece of 4"ID brass with 3/16 wall, 15 inches long which should work great for a housing.    Have the 6 mossberg barrels in hand.


  • Roller and Cutter like this

#26 Timcor123

Timcor123

    Member

  • Members
  • PipPip
  • 26 posts
  • LocationNortheast Pennsylvania

Posted 27 February 2018 - 01:07 AM

Great news Sparky. Your theoretical rate of fire is about what I achieved: 700-800 rounds/minute. I used the voice memo app on my phone to measure a 25 round burst. You are right, it's a real riot!

I got the carriage wheels done for my gun. Still need to turn the hubs and fab the stainless tires. Hubs may have to wait until brass prices come down. I may just turn them in 7075 alum and anodize black. Had to build a slip roll for the tires first and that turned out nice. Also, finally bought a Tig welder. I settled on the Everlast 200dv. So far not disappointed. Lots to learn about Tig but having fun. It's a good thing I don't have to make a living with this thing!

Anyway, congrats on your gun!

Tim
  • Cutter likes this




0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users