#1 Steve McKuhen

Steve McKuhen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 10 January 2012 - 04:04 PM

Attached File  flat spring ejector-id=635.png   61KB   0 downloads

Here is an idea for a flat spring ejector. I have read Nightman's post and drawing. This is his idea. The dimensions on the drawing for the ejector finger are not clear. I can not read them by zooming.

#2 Sparky_NY

Sparky_NY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • LocationAnderson, SC

Posted 12 January 2012 - 11:06 AM

Yup, except the spring should probably be much shorter to give adequate tension without needing heavy spring stock. Marlin uses something similar that clips around their bolt. I posted a link to a pic of the marling extractor in another thread.

#3 Steve McKuhen

Steve McKuhen

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 189 posts

Posted 14 January 2012 - 06:45 AM

Sparky,
As the text says it is a drawing of an idea. Please share with us your drawing of the correct dimensions and the proper spring tension.

#4 Sparky_NY

Sparky_NY

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 264 posts
  • LocationAnderson, SC

Posted 14 January 2012 - 01:20 PM

Drawing is the easy part, coming up with a practical working design to draw is the trick. As I said before, Marlin used a spring steel extractor is their 22's, a pic is here on the forum. Rather than reinvent the wheel, I bought a marlin one for $10 and can assure you its only about a half inch long, .025 thick, about .075 wide and has very high tension. I suspect it is made of 1095 alloy as are most firearm flat springs. It was pretty easy to investigate the requirements for a flat spring steel .22 extractor. I concluded that it might be possible to use a flat spring on the DE bolt but a conventional spring loaded finger is the method of choice by myself and nearly every gun manufacturer. Soon I will see if its practical on the DE gun. There is not a lot of real estate to work with.

I am at the point that the bolts are next to complete, everything else is about done, so I have to make a decision soon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users